Change Mode

ok who's

terry1966

installed suse 13.2 already, and what do you think of it?

did you stick with it's new partition default file system (think it's brtfs) or did you change it to use ext4.

any performance gains noticeable over 13.1?

not sure i'm keen on the new colour scheme judging by the 1 and only screen shot i've seen, looks like a greeny turquoise type colour to me.

:b33r:

to be honest i hardly ever change a colour scheme, usually just leave it at it's defaults, not as if i ever look at the background anyway, there's always some tv/video playing full screen on one monitor and a browser open on the other. :rofl3:

might even install pulseaudio and latest skype, even tho audio won't work like i require, this time around.

i miss my skype since they blocked the work around for changing version numbers i used,

there is another work around that involves installing latest version and copying a binary into the older version folder before uninstalling new version again so older version would connect and work but you still needed to do that every month because of the way m$ now insist on doing things.

seemed like to much of a pain at the time just to have skype working with alsa so haven't used skype for ages, but i might have to change my mind and either put up with new version and pulseaudio/skype sound issue or at least get my lazy backside in gear and use the monthly work around for old version and alsa with no sound issues.

let us know what you think about 13.2 when you've had more time using the final release.

off to start the dvd download now. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966

It is running on my laptop flawlessly. I was skeptical about btrfs and xfs and the way everything was displayed in the partitioner, but decided to for once just leave it alone and see what happened. Needless to say the two partitions are exactly what I would have chosen, and the file systems seem just fine and fast. Packman, and libdvdcss repos are available in Yast, and everything seems to be there, I am sure there might be a few things missing, but for a laptop I don't install a lot of the stuff I put on my desktop.

All in all, it just works, the only thing I needed was an Ethernet cable so I could install broadcom-wl from packman to get wireless working.

didn't realise they used both btrfs and xfs for a default partition setup, assume btrfs is default root and xfs is default home.

from the little i've read in the past, i don't see any performance gains over using ext4 even tho xfs is supposed to be better for larger files.

i guess because video with it's larger file size seems to be such a big part of a users life now i can understand the reasons for using xfs as the default home partition.

don't really know anything much about btrfs except it's supposed to be more fault tolerant or something.

still haven't gotten around to installing it on anything myself yet. :mrgreen:

So if the default file system is btrfs are we looking at a complete reformat of the drives to handle the new fie system? If like Terry says is just for root then shouldn't be an issue as this is on a ssd but /home is on a separate 1tb drive

My current back up regime just uses the standard file backup that comes with SUSE; will this be able to load the files back if the structure has changed from ext4 to xfs?

Looks like a fun weekend ahead!!

yes your files will be able to be restored regardless what partition file system is used.

yes like any other time you do a clean install of suse it will format the root partition, just this time it will use btrfs instead of ext4, and to be honest a user isn't likely to notice any difference in daily use whatever partition file system the os is installed on.

as to the home partition i doubt it will change anything there unless your creating a new home partition and from the sounds of it for that it will use xfs as it's default instead of the old ext4 it used to use, don't know for sure because haven't installed it myself yet.

if you do a system upgrade tho by just adding the 13.2 repo's and then zypper dup in terminal as root, it won't actually change any of your partitions file systems, so they will still be whatever they were before, probably ext4.

Edited by terry1966

Cheers Terry;

I always run the install from disc never from Zypper so it's as clean as possible.

My backup schedule runs on Friday nights and dumps it all to my NAS so I should be good to go Saturday morning.

:)

bruce you have any problems with playing flash videos?

i notice during the install it doesn't pull in the adobe flash player any more, so guess it must be using pepperflash.

the reason i ask is because a couple of weeks ago my mate was having problems with his suse 13.1, where the flash videos would completely freeze up the desktop, and i found out the problem was pepperflash and when i removed that and used adobe flash he's never had a problem since.

so at the minute i'm in 2 minds, either leave everything as is and see what happens or just remove pepperflash and use adobe.

also what codecs do you add? think i'm only going to add the k3b, vlc, and libxine2 codecs. for now.

notice it also installs chromium (which i don't want.) as well during updates unless you uncheck it.

quite like the look of it, except for the horrible (to me.) colour. thought the installer looked very good.

Edited by terry1966

yes i did a complete clean default install on a spare machine i have here and never changed anything, it did install pepperflash and not adobe for some reason, maybe because i'm in europe and not the states, so after adding some repo's and doing all the updates, i removed chromium and pepperflash and it then pulled in adobe flash.

haven't used it much yet but seems to run just fine, except for a limited resolution problem with the monitor not being seen correctly (1024x768 instead of 1440x900) so got to go and look up how to install the ati drivers for it now, been that long since i've installed suse on a machine with amd graphics card, can't even remember what is in there hd2xxx something i think. :rofl3:

Edited by terry1966

Good work, lads, keep going for the latest thing and working out the bugs for us late people.

Me, I'm not upgrading Jack on my old box, but I'm almost ready to order a new build from one of you Pitsters.

I'm still leaning toward the build Bruce proposed.

But seriously, as long as my box is still working, I don't give upgrading the highest priority. I'm saving my bank for an upgrade in residence for now, but yes, I will want a better PC in the future, and it has to run Linux.