Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev-Roy

Encrypted computer files

I have a friend at church who received a fake Fedex email that they had failed to deliver a package and needed to set up another delivery and when she opened it...it encrypted all her files. Would it be safe to remove the hard drive and using an external device to get her photos and etc off or would they be encrypted also? And would it endanger my computer?

Thanks

Rev-Roy

The files are encrypted, it does not matter what you use to try and retrieve them , it will be very difficult with out the encryption key.

I sure do hate to hear this, without paying some sort of ransom, and then thats not a guarantee, reformat is your best bet.

The below link is one of many where they are trying help people find which Crypto infection they have and what options might be available.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532879/cryptowall-new-variant-of-cryptodefense/

Thanks Geezer and Juliet....I was pretty sure I would hear this advice from you. After posting this morning at Church I found out it had been taken to the "Geek Squad" so I doubt anythjing can be done now.

Again thanks and good to hear from you.

Rockin Rev

Rockin Rev

Sorry I couldn't be of assistance but, was good to see you.