Sign in to follow this  
slbagley

Adware or Malware - my browsers have be hijacked - help

I am reviewing PC Matic to see if I can get rid of an adware / malware virus that resides on my PC. It has hijacked my IE and FF browsers - and when I click links, click into a blank field to add data, etc., etc. anywhere from 1 to 2 new browser windows automatically pop up with ads of some product - mostly PC software to remove viruses, optimize my PC, etc. (PC Keeper, for example). Their are other ads that pop up as well - they look to be legit.

I currently use Webroot as my virus software - they spent about 2 hours trying to eradicate all occurrences of 'video+ mediaplayer+' virus from my registry and my IE add-ons. I thought we had the problem solved, but nope - it's back, but I no longer see it in my IE add-ons or add-ons in FF.

Has anyone heard of this virus How do I get rid of it - willing to buy PC Matic if it remove this virus.

Welcome to the Pit! :wp:

This sounds like conduit, which is pretty stubborn adware.

Whether you go with PC Matic or not is up to you, but regardless of your choice in AV (Webroot included) it's always a good idea to have a few good weapons at your disposal to remove malware.
One may remove the root of the infection and another can then finish by removing the remaining triggers and/or registry entries.

Two very good weapons to have in your arsenal are Malwarebytes Anti-malware and AdWareCleaner

Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ ****Be sure to uncheck the Free Trial at the end of setup*****

AdwCleaner-by Xplode:

Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner
Click on ONE of the Two Blue Download Now buttons That have a blue arrow beside them and save it to your desktop.

Do not click on any links in the top Advertisment.

adwcleaner_download.png

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt as well.
  • NOTE: If you see AVG Secure Search being targeted for deletion, Here's Why and Here. You can always Reinstall it.

In any event, running your scans to do battle should be done in Safe Mode. You don't say which flavor of Windows you are running, so let's assume it isn't Windows 8 or 8.1.
Reboot the computer to Safe Mode (As the computer is booting up, tap the F8 key on your keyboard. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to change selections from the Menu and highlight Safe Mode, hit Enter)

While there, since you have Webroot installed, it won't hurt to allow some time for it to run a scan as well.

Reboot normally and let us know if you see improvement.

If you do decide to try PC Matic, then uninstall Webroot as it's never a good idea to run 2 or more real-time anti-virus programs at the same time. Conflicts, false positives and slower computing are often the result.

:) Y

Your 2 are fine as well.

Again, having a cache' of weapons available is better than relying on only 1.

The trick is to make sure that only 1 is set to be monitoring your computer at a time.

The others should be updated and initiated manually when needed or for maintenance.

:) Y