Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrHappyGoLucky12

One Question Anti-Virus Survey for Windows 8/8.1 Users

Are you going to share the results?

Of course! I thought they were visible after you voted. I'll try and make them visible later today or report them back to the board in a week.

waiting to see results since I hate clicking on links.

Well, it appears as tho' most folks disable Windows Defender and use a "real" antivirus.

:geezer:

I was surprised that so many people use Defender AND another anti-virus together

I was surprised that so many people use Defender AND another anti-virus together

If they'd only realize how defeating that is and how many problems it can cause...

If they'd only realize how defeating that is and how many problems it can cause...

Well if you've already installed windows you'll already have that defeated feeling with all the problems it can cause!

I don't have windows 8 but, and remember I can be very wrong, people are using both windows defender and a antivirus for best protection.

And again, if I'm not wrong, windows defender comes pre-installed by Microsoft?

I don't have windows 8 but, and remember I can be very wrong, people are using both windows defender and a antivirus for best protection.

And again, if I'm not wrong, windows defender comes pre-installed by Microsoft?

It is installed in Windows 8, 8.1 & currently Windows 10.

It is somewhat concealed and unobtrusive, so many don't even think about it being there.

By default, it is set to run "Real Time" protection in the background, which can easily be shut off in it's 'Settings' window.

Thing is, at least with Windows 8.1, when I messed with it, I saw no difference or issues with it running at the same time as Avast, Avira or PC Matic.

Those are the only ones I played with, but it at least they "played" nice together.

Do I recommend that they are both kept running "Real Time" ? No, not at all.

My recommendation is to turn off Defender's Real Time protection and run a different AV.

:) Y

Are you sure the Defender was running alongside AVAST! and Avira? I thought that they both disabled Defender as part of their install routine?

You are correct, Tom, as I just reinstalled to check and they do turn off Defender.

:) Y