Sign in to follow this  
Mergan Bandez

How todo I remove groovorio ?

A friend has been blocked from accessing the internet using Chrome, which is now uninstalled.

She can using Mozilla. She thinks its because of a hijacked toolbar from groovorio if I have the spelling correct. Anyone dealt with removing this? She removed it from XP/Add or Remove, then restarted the pc and its still there. Searching online gives me this second option:

If you continue to have problems with redirects to hxxp://www.groovorio.com, reset your Internet Explorer settings to default.

Windows XP users: Click "Start", click "Run", in the opened window type "inetcpl.cpl" In the opened window click the "Advanced" tab, then click Reset.

What do you think? Any questions I can answer for oyu? Thanks

Let's try a couple of things to see if we can get all remnants out.

-AdwCleaner-by Xplode

Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner

Click on ONE of the Two Blue Download Now buttons That have a blue arrow beside them and save it to your desktop.

Do not click on any links in the top Advertisment.

adwcleaner_download.png

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt as well.
  • NOTE: If you see AVG Secure Search being targeted for deletion, Here's Why and Here. You can always Reinstall it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
  • Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
    • On the Dashboard click on Update Now
    • Go to the Setting Tab
    • Under Setting go to Detection and Protection
    • Under PUP and PUM make sure both are set to show Treat Dections as Malware
    • Go to Advanced setting and make sure Automatically Quarantine Detected Items is checked
    • Then on the Dashboard click on Scan
    • Make sure to select THREAT SCAN
  • Then click on Scan
  • When the scan is finished and the log pops up...select Copy to Clipboard
  • Please paste the log back into this thread for review
  • Exit Malwarebytes

please post

C:\AdwCleaner.txt

Malwarebytes log

Hi, Mergan. Have a check on right-click menu and bookmarks of the browser as well, which may have items of goovorio. Search for its files in registy, start-up folder and program flie folder as well. Find a nice post regarding removing goovorio manually. Cheers!

I would like to share another solution.

Step 1: Stop the processes related to Groovorio.com redirect virus.

a. Press the keys Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete or Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc together to open the Task Manager.
b. Select the “Processes” tab, search for and stop processes related to the redirect virus.
end-processes-windows7.png

Step 2: Remove the redirect virus related registry entries.

a. Press Windows key+R key together.
b. Type “regedit” into the command box and click OK.
open-registry-editor-windows7.png
c. Find out and delete the related registry entries.

HKEY\_USERS\.DEFUALT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\[random]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\svflooje\Enum\[random]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\[random]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run\[random]

Step 3: Delete files related to Groovorio.com redirect virus.

a. Open the local hard disk C.
b. Use the search function to search for and delete any files related to the redirect virus.
c. Find out and delete the following malicious files.

%System%[random].exe
%Temp%\[random].bat
%UserProfile%\[random].exe
%Windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framwork\[random].exe
%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\[random]

Step 4: Reset your browser homepage.

Mozilla Firefox
Click on Firefox menu and navigate to Options. Under the General tab, delete the unwanted URL from the Home Page field, input the URL you prefer and click OK.
reset-homepage-firefox1.jpg

Internet Explorer
Click Tools and navigate to Internet Options. Under the General tab, delete http:// groovorio.com from the Home Page field, type your favorite URL into the field and confirm your change.
reset-homepage-IE.jpg

Google Chrome
Click on the Wrench or 3 bar icon, and select Settings. Find “On startup” and click on “Set pages”. Remove the undesired URL, type your favorite one and click OK.
reset-homepage-Google_Chrome.png

Edited by Amanda Smith

Thanks for the information... but personally, I'm not a fan of sending the "typical" user into the registry to muck about. I believe that Malwarebytes' is a "safer" alternative. Granted, these types of intrusions can be a bit more challenging when working with Chrome, but the registry is rightfully a scary place and the uninitiated should treat it with reasonable fear and trepidation.

Thanks for the information... but personally, I'm not a fan of sending the "typical" user into the registry to muck about. I believe that Malwarebytes' is a "safer" alternative. Granted, these types of intrusions can be a bit more challenging when working with Chrome, but the registry is rightfully a scary place and the uninitiated should treat it with reasonable fear and trepidation.

:tup: +1

:) Y

I always make certain that I back-up the registry before mucking about in there...and I AM initiated

:geezer: