End of 32 bit folding?

JustinP526

I haven't found any details yet as to when they plan to end folding on 32 bit machines, but client isn't getting any more WU's here. Only one I seen on Stanford folding site was something about end of Big ADV work will be January 2015.

th_Screenshotfrom2014-09-30063136_zps0dc

Got a long output in the log showing this same thing over and over again.

10:56:21:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.200:8080
10:56:22:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.200:8080': Empty work server assignment
10:56:22:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.121:80
10:56:23:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.64.65.121:80': Empty work server assignment
10:56:23:ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

I really don't understand, why would they want to end any part of the program at all? Every little bit contributes something does it not? Sometimes you have to study just small parts to understand the bigger picture.

After looking at the Server Stats, I see neither one of those servers listed:

171.67.108.200:8080

171.64.65.121:80

the :80 and :8080 are of course not much consequence other than it signifies that if it can't connect to the original work server that the other is optional...

There is a way to make it connect to a different work server, but I'm not sure how...my only suggestion would be this: if F@H has returned the last WU as finished, stop the client, go into /var/lib/fahclient and locate the work folder and delete all that's in it. Delete the core/s too, then restart the client and see if it doesn't get work.

:geezer:

Nope, that didn't fix it either...

Maybe something to do with it showing Work Server and Collection Server with addresses of 0.0.0.0?

*EDIT*

Nevermind, it must have been some issue with their server(s). It just now finally got a WU.

Edited by JustinP526

Maybe something to do with it showing Work Server and Collection Server with addresses of 0.0.0.0?

I have had several work units do the same thing over the past couple of weeks showing the same addresses.

*EDIT*

Nevermind, it must have been some issue with their server(s). It just now finally got a WU.

Glad to hear that it finally received a WU Justin...keep up the good work buddy!

Fold On people!!

go into /var/lib/fahclient and locate the work folder and delete all that's in it. Delete the core/s too, then restart the client and see if it doesn't get work.

Thanks caintry, my client seemed stalled too this week.

I updated the software, then followed your procedure above and rebooted.

It took about 30 minutes to start folding again, but it brought in a new project, currently 7812 and it's folding away again.

The project number with the stall was 7006 I believe.

Thanks for the tip. :tup:

:) Y

Can't remember which project was the last one that finished here, but I did indeed get credit for it. Got 7812 as well now.

Looks like Guns got reply in just before I made edit. Guess there was something going on at Stanford's end then.

Seems likely that work had just finished on those servers.. I'm guessing anyway due to the error message it displayed in log file. 'Empty work server' and 'Could not get assignment'.

I see different servers on my client now.

Work Server 171.64.65.100

Collection Server 171.64.103.160

It did it again...

Took 2 days for the client to get a WU. Don't know if rebooting my machine caused it to actually get work this time. Wasn't until I rebooted that the client was able to get WU on first try.

And again it's not getting any work... for 5 days now.

Think I'm just going to retire this old machine anyway. Got the Phenom setup all ready to go, just haven't done so yet as I need a new monitor. The distortion I've been dealing with (was just at the top of the screen mainly in the corners), has now migrated down to where it extends as far as the whole top half of the screen. Even at native 1024x768 res it won't display everything, some of my desktop runs over the limit of the actual screen so I can't even see it. Taking a screenshot however will display the whole thing when I open the image file. Well can't complain since this monitor is from 1998.. it lived quite the long life!!

All in all, I have no clue what is going on with FAH client not getting work. But this 32 bit machine won't be folding any more. I will have the Phenom up soon though! For now it will be a 2.2GHz Agena core (1st gen) Phenom X4. Waiting to hear back from a friend who has a few PhenomII CPUs that are no longer being used. He's going to either give me one or sell it to me for cheap (cheap as in ~$25).. it may be an X6. He said he had a few X4's and a couple of X6's but he doesn't remember which he still has and which he had sold a while ago.