Recent upgrade to SSD RAID 0 + RAMDISK! WOOOOW

Okay, so I feel like I've crawled out from under a rock.....

I got 2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's on Craigslist for $60 (yes for the pair!!), both with very little read/writes on them, and in excellent health per SSD-LIFE checker....

I decided to run them in RAID 0 to get a larger overall drive space, and also because these are only SATAII drives, so I figured the stripe would get them a little closer to SIII performance...

Then I did a fresh install of WIndows 8.1, setup a 2GB RAMDISK for all of my caches and temp files....

All I can say is.... "WOW!"

This is the absolute fastest and smoothest PC experience I have ever had. So much difference it makes with booting, loading, installations, etc. Literally everything about it is night and day!

If you are already running SSD's, look into the RAMDISK thing for temp/cache files to reduce read/writes to the drive, and it also works great for game server hosting!!

Anyways, just wanted to share my cheap, yet, very high impact upgrade!

Nice! I ran a pair of similar OCZ's in RAID 0, but they were 60 GBs each.

It ran nice for about a year and then one of the drives got squirrely on me.

I never set up a RAMDISK for the pair, though.

Did you use this procedure: http://blog.laptopmag.com/faster-than-an-ssd-how-to-turn-extra-memory-into-a-ram-disk

Any problems with it?

Thanks and congrats! :tup:

:) Y

Didn't use it for applications like the editor, but did use the same software and creation process...

I am noticing slower startups, and shutdowns, but I tend to leave the computer on 24/7 anyways...

I am also now using it for my pagefile, but not sure if it's helping or not.... some performance increases are only notable in benchmarks, so I'd have to do more testing before I can tell if this actually helping me or not.

It's a mixed bag of opinions when I googled it.....

Do your best not to put any programs or applications on it at all; if possible, save it for just Windows as running programs etc. will slow the performance. Also let it sit in BIOS (main page) for about 1 hr. each week so they have a chance to clean themselves up. (Trim)

I'm sure you already know all that, just sayin'.....

:geezer:

Well, one of the issues with RAID 0 on SSD's, is that there is no trim support...

So what I'm wondering, is the garbage collection done in the background, or at some sort of scheduled maintenance point?? Still not sure what all I can do to keep performance maximized.

I am keeping my games, Office Pro 2013, and OS only on the SSD drives, everything else such as docs, pics, movies, etc, are ALL on my HDD storage drive.

I am currently using 100GB of 220GB on the SSD RAID array, and that will probably increase another 30-40GB with the next few games I plan on getting, which are BF4, Crysis 3, and Metro Last Light.....

I am installing the games to the SSD, because the whole point was to enjoy the load times, or lack there of :clap:

Edited by Agent Smith

I'm pretty sure that drives set up in AHCI or RAID can utilize trim.

As I recall when I had my RAID array set up, I ran the check and it showed TRIM as enabled.
Maybe Agent Smith can run a quick check for us:

Run a command prompt then enter: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it comes back as: fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

Then TRIM is enabled.

http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7

However, if a disk is first set up as IDE, but then you wish to change it over to AHCI to utilize TRIM on the SSD, then prior to making the changes in the BIOS, the registry will need to be edited:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

:) Y

Well, one of the issues with RAID 0 on SSD's, is that there is no trim support...

think you'll find raid 0 trim support depends on motherboard chipset and is supported with new boards, think from chipset z77 up but not sure.

:b33r:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Edited by terry1966

Trim only enabled on my raid array when I downloaded intel rapid storage technology raid driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006

So when you go to defrag your drive it will say optimise which will then trim your raid array.

Just download the setupRST.exe

Cheers

Edited by steve65

Trim only enabled on my raid array when I downloaded intel rapid storage technology raid driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006

So when you go to defrag your drive it will say optimise which will then trim your raid array.

Just download the setupRST.exe

Cheers

Hmmm, is this going to work on my old platform??

1090T @ 4GHz

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

AMD integrated RAID controller

2x OCZ Vertex 2 boot drive

My concern is that your post would be a software driver in windows, and would not permit the current raid to boot. I could be TOTALLY off base though....

the instructions and links only apply to intel chipsets and motherboards.

sorry no idea what the state of play is with amd motherboards and chipsets, haven't used amd for so many years i just stopped reading up on them.

i'll see what i can find out tho with google if you want.

the instructions and links only apply to intel chipsets and motherboards.

sorry no idea what the state of play is with amd motherboards and chipsets, haven't used amd for so many years i just stopped reading up on them.

i'll see what i can find out tho with google if you want.

Are you just lookin for an excuse to read back up on AMD again??? :mrgreen:

From what I'm finding TRIM is NOT going to happen, however, with my page file, temp files, and browser cache being on my RAMDISK, I don't see much trash building on this drive??

I read a little and the SD1200 and the trash collection seems to be decent, it's the stuff before this gen of drives that didn't do so well...... :geezer:

Okay, so I ditched the RAMDISK......

I didn't really know the benefits completely, however I could clearly see it was negatively impacting all of my CPU benchmarks.

I don't think it was just the RAM it was using, I believe the additional IO's used to request pagefile information, etc, was impacting things.

Really don't know, but I ditched it, and the system is still super fast, so I'm happy.

Is there any particular settings, or maintentance that can be done on SSD RAIDs, or SSD's in general when TRIM is not active in Windows 8.1?

I read all these different things about not using TRIM, but there is no clear way to manage SSD's, only ways to help keep the performance. I have written and read quite a bit from the drive over the last week, and it still performs flawlessly, and I don't see it shrinking, so am I good to roll out for a while, or is something I need to do or check on a regular basis??

Thanks guys