Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingrules2

Computer Maintenance Folder

Whenever I work on someone's computer, I put a folder called Computer Maintenance on the Desktop. In that folder I put aliases for all the programs I used to work on that particular computer. It almost always contains Malwarebytes, Auslogic defrag (all drives but Solid State), Windows Disk Cleanup, Chrome and/or Firefox, whatever free anti-virus they want (usually MSE or Avast), and sometimes Super Anti. I cannot recommend a paid anti-virus, but will leave what they have (usually it is expired). I also usually leave a notepad doc of what I have done and when.

I tell customers they may delete the folder at their peril. I also tell them, "You know, you could update and run those programs yourself," but they never do :shrug: . So I charge them again the next time, but the folder makes my job easier.

LIG

:) ffr2

P.S: again, you can install all those program in about three clicks with ninite.com.

Edited by flyfishingrules2

I do similar, but I call it Run These, it makes it more obvious that they should run them, I put CCleaner (free) in there, and used to use 2 more, but they have not been updated in many years, and I sometimes get a snide comment about using them because of this, but I am giving Wise Disk Cleaner a test drive currently, which you can even schedule cleaning so if the user forgets, it does it for them, and I think it is pretty good, it also allows you to filter what does and doesn't get touched, aside from those I put a folder called Protection in there, and add the usual tools like mbam, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntiSpyware (free).

Aside from that I put Secunia PSI on their systems, that does a great job in auto updating many programs without the user having to bother, they rarely know it's happening, but sometimes it does require the user to do some installs, but it links them directly to it when that happens, I also put WinPatrol, the latest Hosts file, WOT and MCShield on, then I drill into them what are do's and don'ts (obviously this is only mates I'm dealing with), and over the 10 years or so I've been helping them, I've got from maybe| 3 reinstalls a week on average because they get infected, to none, these days it's usually corrupted systems that I have to do, and then only 1 maybe every 4 months or so at most, so it does work if you tell them enough.

Not quite the same as you do, but I aim at keeping it running as opposed to giving them a reinstall package type of thing, but then I am only deal with mates, so it's always a case of using what works in your case type of thing.

I do the same with a folder I've named 'Utilities and Tools'. It includes much the same programs but I also have Revo Uninstaller in case they may need it. I encourage them to update and run these monthly or 'as needed' in their mindset. Unfortunately this usually means a call down the road about added toolbars, paid versions downloaded in error, etc. because they don't pay attention to the boxes that you have to check or uncheck. This is family or friends I deal with so there isn't any monetary implications involved.

Oops, I forgot what is probably the most important tool, you install it, then that's it, the user has next to nothing to do with it, what does it do ?

It automatically marks the ticks from boxes set to include the garbage appropriately, so that they do not add the junk, there are times where an install file where this software can't act on, at which point it jumps up and asks the user if they are sure, adding it may contain unwanted stuff as well, it should be in every tech's toolbox, it will cut down your work instantly, What is this tool ?

Unchecky, it is very lightweight, so even low powered systems shouldn't have trouble running it, the program launches with Windows then runs in the background, not that you would know it, the amount of times I've had to get rid of garbage has dropped by 99.9% since I started using it, I can't recommend this tool highly enough, there is a demo video lower down the page, and you can also email in other garbage if you find they are missing one, I hope you find it as useful as well.

I clean all their crapola, remove bogus software, clean more garbage................wash rinse repeat.

Then I uninstall all the tools I use to perform the work. Hand their computer back to them get paid and wait until the next time they make a mess of things.

I have learned that nothing I can tell them will sink in, nothing I install for them will ever be used, and noting will stop them from infecting their machines again.

There is a lot of truth in that, which is why I love the above so much, they don't have to do anything, it doesn't rely on the user for the vast majority of things, the only time they know it's there is when it can't access thee check boxes due to the way the install is built, it will jump up and tell them it contains potential garbage, that's the only time they will know it's there, same with Wise Cleaner, and Iobit Smart Defrag (as long as it's YOU that installs it, as it is sneaky trying to get you to install garbage, you have to Decline the 1st screen, before it installs the actual program), but both can be set to run without user intervention, and "should" make their visits less often, but as you say, some people just won't learn, but these should help.

personally even for friends i never install any programs that run in the background that can make changes to the pc without user intervention, in my opinion they are all a security risk without user intervention because they have admin privileges and internet access, a dangerous combo in my un-expert opinion.

:b33r:

I don't think any of the programs listed run in the background - although I'm not familiar with those by 8210GUY

I clean all their crapola, remove bogus software, clean more garbage................wash rinse repeat.

Then I uninstall all the tools I use to perform the work. Hand their computer back to them get paid and wait until the next time they make a mess of things.

I have learned that nothing I can tell them will sink in, nothing I install for them will ever be used, and noting will stop them from infecting their machines again.

This.

I remove everything I may have used. Learnt a lesson a few years ago with CCleaner that I left for someone and said 'you run it when you want to' ; they did - ignored the registry back up message and did damage. I then spent a day fixing the issue for free. I no longer leave anything!!

Some of what I have listed runs in real time (not taking into account those programs that have been paid for to get real time cover component of it), and of those some can be turned off so it doesn't, they are:-

Secunia PSI = Real Time, it can be turned off, but it would no longer keep your programs up to date, so if you would stop this one then there is no point installing it.

WinPatrol, = Real Time, very lightweight and most know it so enough said.

MCShield = Real Time, scans removable media as they are connected, so shields from infected media.

Iobit Smart Defrag = Real Time, defrags on the fly, but also scans every 7 days when the system boots to maximise performance, this can be turned off if wanted to run on demand.

Unchecky = Real Time, I can't recommend this one enough, extremely lightweight, and stops well over 90% + of sneaky installs I would say, that usually brings users to you (after some point anyway), it removes the sneaky tick boxes that are often bundled with other install files, so using this dramatically reduces users from installing the crud because they don't notice the tick boxes, and when it can't do that it warns the user they are about to install something they may not want, at which point it raises 2 other forms of issue, RTFM, and ID10T errors.

None of these will cause a problem for users, as long as they only use the base role of the software, e.g. run CCleaner as a cleaner ONLY, instruct them not to touch the other bits, especially the registry tool, otherwise they would be fine, I set these and leave them running, because they will do the tasks that I know the users won't do, which keeps them running smoother, safer, and more importantly reduces how often they come back to me with problems lol, but for those who make money from people who keep messing up their systems, you may not want to use these tools lol.