Folding in Linux on 32 bit machine?

JustinP526

Anyone folding on a 32 bit single core machine in Linux?

It's looking like that's not much of an option any longer (or soon anyway)..

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/linux-install-guide/

It shows that version 7 requires a 32 or 64 bit OS and specifies 1.4GHz P4 (or AMD equivalent) or better. But there's an announcement from August 2013 that single cores and 32 bit is at end of life.

Guess this is why one should always read the manual :laughing:

Well in this case, I can try to install the older version 6.02 and see if it will still go. Otherwise, guess that means it's time for this old P4 machine to retire.

Got version 7 to install and fold, but couldn't get it to let me configure so it would have just submitted everything as anonymous...

Most likely I goofed something so I'll try again. Can't hurt to let it fold up until they cut off 32 bit single core at the end of life point. Also it's good learning experience so I pick up new skills too!!

Got version 7 to install and fold, but couldn't get it to let me configure so it would have just submitted everything as anonymous...

Most likely I goofed something so I'll try again. Can't hurt to let it fold up until they cut off 32 bit single core at the end of life point. Also it's good learning experience so I pick up new skills too!!

You have a PM...

:geezer:

Got it to install the whole way through, able to configure in the process so it's set with username, team number and passkey.

But the client stays inactive with a status of "connecting" and never gets a connection. I'm able to ping the folding address with no problems though. This is getting to be way more aggravation than it's worth.

th_Screenshotfrom2014-09-21024726_zps5e6

*EDIT*

Got it.. have to start the client manually via Terminal in order for the Control panel to show it running.

Found my answer here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1484119/f-h-wont-connect-under-linux-ubuntu

And on that note, where's my aspirin... I've got such a headache :angry2:

Edited by JustinP526