so i had an older system and decided to upgrade it a bit. older system was a core 2 duo on an Abit aw9d max,500w coolmax PSU,2 gigs of OCZ ram,250gig mech HD and a evga gt520 vid card. the corsair PSU i bought a few months back,the gtx 660 came from a friend,sold him a card a while back that went out and was replaced by the 660 under warranty. bought the CPU on sale for $47 last night and the board came today.just waiting on some memory and hoping to find a cheap SSD drive. nothing fancy but i was bored.

IMG_20140909_152259_638_zps33798c04.jpg

Is that the G3258 I see????

PLEASE tell me you are going to overclock the tar out of it..... Let us know how it does!

That's supposed to be a NICE little gaming chip.

yup thats the chip alright BUT after some tinkering and research that board will not allow me to OC that chip. in fact no H81 board will OC that chip so im sending it back to get a board that does. only reason i bought it was to OC the heck out of it. :IG:

Hi Brownhornet , Early morning this way , 2.30 am , can't sleep , on Zoladex for my Prostate , hot flushes-full on too , no fun lol , anyway , Wondering which Core 2 Duo you pulled , wouldn't happen to be a E8400 by any Chance , and you'd sell . Reason is Lynne has my old pc running E6400 @2.13 with win 7 iffin my memory holds , thought i may give it a Boost an the E8400 would sure fit the bill , guess i'd be up for a Reformat , no problem there . Lots of Q's , thought i'd ask ok . Regards Philip .

Hi Brownhornet , Early morning this way , 2.30 am , can't sleep , on Zoladex for my Prostate , hot flushes-full on too , no fun lol , anyway , Wondering which Core 2 Duo you pulled , wouldn't happen to be a E8400 by any Chance , and you'd sell . Reason is Lynne has my old pc running E6400 @2.13 with win 7 iffin my memory holds , thought i may give it a Boost an the E8400 would sure fit the bill , guess i'd be up for a Reformat , no problem there . Lots of Q's , thought i'd ask ok . Regards Philip .

you know i really forgot which chip it was,let me turn her on and have a look see. i do know its not an 8400 but i will look

sorry but mines the 6400 as well,but i can give you a good deal on the chip.board and memory.

IMG_20140913_013434_645_zps1687b035.jpg

Easy guys, take any deals to PM's please.

No advertising or selling of any kind allowed in the forums, this is not eBay. If you are interested in advertising, contact the site owners. If someone asks to buy something and you have it for sale, send that person a personal message. You may post a link to a website or forum in your signature. However, this is not a place to advertise your business, website, forum, etc. Anything considered to be advertising or "spam" will be removed without notice.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Thank you.

:) Y

Sorry about that Brownhornet , as i was only asking which Chip it was , i Would have gone PM had i have known you were Intrested in Selling , actually Purchased one local to me for $22.00 Shipped , so all Peachy here . Regards Philip.

just arrived this morning, she's basically a stock Z97 board that was built for the G3258 and OC'ing. for $79 with a promo code it looked like a good deal. gonna slap my 7870xt and SSD drive on her along with the corsair PSU and my existing G-skill memory. watched a video from asrock where they got her up to 4.8 on this board but my goal is 4.4-4.6. gonna start the build later today. keep ya posted

IMG_20140915_122852_349_zps89c9ce49.jpg

Are you going with the same case that you used for the other budget build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124147

It sure proved to be popular with some of my clients and I appreciate that you were the one that guided me to it initially. :tup:

:) Y

sorry didn't see that post,yes same case with red trim. going to switch the other component's to that same case but in the white trim. yup for the price that case is very much worth it, guess that's why I bought 2 of them.

so with the board i posted above i was able to get this chip to 4.5ghz, gonna try for more but because this computer is in the garage and its 100f outside i may have to wait.you may need to enlarge the pic once you open it

OC.jpg

I am seriously thinking of building my wife/kids a smaller rig with this chip....

That $100 combo I showed you is an insanely good deal, and the board that it comes with will overclock that particular chip (lots of stories about people getting a board and 3258, and realizing they couldn't OC it on their board).

I think a 7870/7950 paired up with it would be awesome for the kids, and it would still have all the CPU power my wife needs for her school work.

As far as me using it.... meh..... my 1090T is still a lot more powerful per all the benchmarks I've looked at.

well after some rain and flooding last night and the cooler temps i bumped the chip up a bit to 4.6 and she's stable with just a minor bump in voltage(1.35) it booted at 4.6 with v1.325 but froze at desktop. i think i may be able to hit 4.7-4.8ghz.

46.jpg

i saw a video of this chip pitted against a 4770k both at 4.4ghz,i think the card used was a 280. anyways this chip was right there with the 4770k set up and the only time the 3258 choked was when a CPU intensive game like dayz was played. i played BF4 to test the 4.6 setting and it played great,only hiccup was due to my 4gigs of memory. im only using a 7870xt so not sure how this chip would push say a 280x,780 or even a 980,but for my set up its perfect minus the 4gigs of memory. not the video i was talking about but it gives you a good idea

Awesome!!!

I want to see it push a 280x really badly....

It's not even listed in the results search on the 3dmark site yet...

On another note..... checka diss out http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4206302 :yikes:

Been really trying to push this rig to its max... I'm not sure I even need an upgrade as long as I'm on 1080P....

That little pentium is impressive for a cheap gaming rig though.....

Edited by Agent Smith
  • 3 weeks later...