Change Mode

Wireless Driver

flyfishingrules2

Hey, my Linux friends, I am trying to change an older computer with Windows XP to a version of Linux using a wireless adapter. The computer is an old Gateway E-4000 (in my shop) and has a Pentium 4 processor, I believe. I have installed Mint 17, which crashes and say it went to Fallback--no internet. I also have installed Ubuntu 14.04 (both are 32 bit). Nada internet. A quick Google search says my Belkin N600 uses Realtek drivers, but I am lost after that--don't know where to get them or how to install them. Help, please. Thanks

:) ffr2

I am not a debian/zoobuntu user but a quick google search revealed.

Ubuntu compatible wireless cards (USB) – 5 Best in 2012

AirLink101 AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

Medialink – Wireless N USB Adapter – 802.11n

ASUS (USB-N13) Wireless-N USB Adapter

Panda Mini Wifi (b/g/n) 150Mbps Card

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/5-best-ubuntu-compatible-wireless-cards-usb/

By any chance is this the mobo in that machine? This is the mobo I've got and everything I've searched tells me it's a Gateway E-4100 and it's been giving me nothing but trouble. Not sure what exactly the deal is with mine, but I'm working on it.

http://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-intel-d865glc-midway-motherboard_i_mb4gwmidway.aspx

As for USB wifi devices, I've got the Asus USB-N13 one here. Got it to connect and work for a few moments in OpenSuse but then it would keep dropping connection and only a system reboot would re-enable it. Couldn't find any way to get it going in OpenSuse, but there seems to be tons of info available for getting it going in Ubuntu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?reviewid=3538975

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I was running KDE version of OpenSuse. Maybe something to do with which kernel. Think I'm going to try in Ubuntu or Mint and see how it goes. I forget where exactly I found it at, but made note of how to get it enabled in Ubuntu 10.04 (looks like a foreign language to me), maybe it will work?

How to get it to work on Ubuntu 10.04:

Step 1:
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules

Step 2 (add the follow text to the file and save):
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTR{idProduct}=="1784", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba rt2870sta"

Step 3:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf

Step 4 (add the follow text to the file then save):
install rt2870sta /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "0b05 1784" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Gnome. Right from the start and through the duration of the install it seen my Asus USB-N13 device. However, the connection would stay during install for it to also do the updates right away.

Once install was done I opened Terminal (can be tricky to find on this version of Ubuntu [i haven't used this OS since 11.04] .. just press Ctrl + Alt + T) and used the above mentioned steps. This gave me an OK connection of 72Mb/s. It was enough to get all the updates done. Think it may have goofed with a kernel update though. Connection will be good for about 10 minutes then drops off to 7Mb/s and won't get any throughput. Working on a fix now to see if it works well or not.

Here's readout for which kernel if it matters.

juuso@juuso-desktop:~$ uname -r
3.13.0-35-generic