Change Mode

Thermal compound.... Asus 280x DC2T

Okay, (you can read or not if you'd like, I'd appreciate the input on my specific situation).

So I got a STEAL on an Asus DirectCU2 TOP 280x (clocked 1070/1600 stock).....

$125 shipped to my door, in the box, with all the paperwork, the reciept from newegg, and a warranty with 2.5 years left on it. YES, it was a mining card.....

I have no complaints about the cards performance, as it completely destroys anything I've ever had from a horsepower standpoint (see my "Just pokin' around" thread for details..

The problem is, I have been running it at 1200Mhz core (1.25v) and 1800Mhz memory with no real stability issues to speak off, other than the fact that it is running extremely hot, and has the temperature issues have only gotten worse. It runs in a room with 25-28c ambient temp (it's my living room, and it's larger than all the other rooms in my place, and the AC STRUGGLES to keep it cool.)

I am seeing 44c idle with 35% fan, and temps hit 85-88c while running MSI Burn in and furrnark. I know those two tests burn GPU's worse than anything else I use, but the fact of the matter is, even in heavy GPU loaded games, I am still hitting low 80's, and this is supposed to be a top notch cooler.....

The only thing I can think of, is that this card was ran in a 4xCF setup for 4 months straight un 24/7 100% and it wrecked the stock thermal paste..... okay fine, I've seen this happen.....

NOW MY QUESTIONS:

I have heard NOT to use :filtered: anymore, because it is conductive, and for GPU applications, use something like Arctic MX-4 compound. I have read mixed opinions on this, and I myself, have used :filtered: on several GPU's in the past, but never kept them long enough to know if this was a problem, but always saw improvements on temps, so I never questioned using it.

Please share opinions or experience, as I plan to redo the thermal compound on this GPU (as well as add small VRAM sinks) this weekend if possible.

What's everyone's favorite? What works best? What's closest for the money (yes, I've read all the reviews, these things are ridiculous, they 18c ambient on some, then 24c ambient on another, and disregard the fact that the increased ambient temperature creates a hotter environment for other components that do not dissipate heat as well, and attribute to temp differences....

Also I am curious as to what people think about all these "acceptable temperature" opinions I am reading about.....

Some are saying 80c+ is killing the life of the card, others say GPU's are fine up to 90c +/- now????

I will say, that this card seems to degrade in performance, AND in clock-ability after the 82c mark. Especially the memory..... the VRM's and VRAM are BURNING HOT on this thing....

I've "graduated" to the MX-4 and it's a wonder for CPU's. I would see nothing wrong with using it on your vid card, or you might think about Ceramique...

:geezer:

Any thoughts on my temps??

What temps are you getting on your newest ATI/AMD cards?? OC/OV or stock?

Seems to be a mixed bag of opinions out there.....

I'll definitely give the MX-4 a go.... it CAN'T hurt anything!

i would change the paste and check temps again,that 80c + seems to high to me. on my AMD rig i played crisis 3 for 3 hours and the XFX card maxed out at 54c. it being a mining card could have done some damage due to it running 24/7 for who knows how long. i usually run my cards at stock speeds since i dont wanna fry anything or void the warranty. the toxic card i have came from a warranty claim(original card was the vapor x 280x oc) due to a faulty fan. they gave me the 3rd degree and asked if it was oc'ed even more by me. they pretty much said if i did some tinkering to myself they would find out and warranty would be void. but yeah swap out the paste and see what she does

Yeah, I'm going to give it a go this weekend. The weird thing is, i have seen some reviews of my card hitting 85c overclocked, and other reviews where it only his high 60's..... I'll get that compound on and update.....

On another note, any manufacturer that sells a factory overclocked card, and includes overclocking software with it, along with making a big deal about their DIGI+ VRMs and 10+2 power phase, better KNOW that their customers are going to overclock their hardware.... From what i have read, Asus isn't hassling anyone over RMA on these TOP cards. I've never gotten a hard time from XFX or EVGA over overclocking either....

This totally went bad......... I put new compound, booted up, temps were even higher, did a cleaning, reduced amount, booted, heard fan hit 100% and then crash!

Took it out and tried going with more.....

This booted but crashed within one minute of full load testing.... Took it all apart again and globbed it on (it was heavily wet and globbed on this way when i took the cooler off to begin with).

This apparently worked, but whatever damage was done from the initial reduction, caused the gpu to no longer report temps......... I'm pretty disappointed cause i don't know if its running cooler now or not.... Everything is working properly now, but I'm scared as hell since i can no longer see temps at all!

This totally went bad......... I put new compound, booted up, temps were even higher, did a cleaning, reduced amount, booted, heard fan hit 100% and then crash!

Took it out and tried going with more.....

This booted but crashed within one minute of full load testing.... Took it all apart again and globbed it on (it was heavily wet and globbed on this way when i took the cooler off to begin with).

This apparently worked, but whatever damage was done from the initial reduction, caused the gpu to no longer report temps......... I'm pretty disappointed cause i don't know if its running cooler now or not.... Everything is working properly now, but I'm scared as hell since i can no longer see temps at all!

What paste did you use? I wouldn't have thought it would matter and a thin coat is always best...

if its not reporting temps a sensor must have burned out,you said it still had a warranty right? if it were me i would use it before something(worse) happens. my original 280x fan was sticking causing temps to rise and they replaced that one. sounds like the card took too much a beating from mining.

if its not reporting temps a sensor must have burned out,you said it still had a warranty right? if it were me i would use it before something(worse) happens. my original 280x fan was sticking causing temps to rise and they replaced that one. sounds like the card took too much a beating from mining.

Well brown, what's really strange, is that the card functions perfectly..... I can still overclock it and run all benches at 1200/1800, even did a 3dmark11 run at 1225/1850 with no artifacts, and the performance is scaling accordingly.....

I'm stumped as to how the temp sensor would blow, other than the fact that it did overheat and shut down on the first application.... I think I may RMA it if I get any issues, but as of now it runs everything fine.... I just hate not knowing what the temps are. I do know that after almost burning my finger on the heat pipe, that the heat is definitely transferring to the cooler better than it was before!

Either way, the card is a great overclocker, and a great performer for $125!!! It does have over 2 years of warranty left, so I think I'll leave it be for now.....

What paste did you use? I wouldn't have thought it would matter and a thin coat is always best...

Caintry, I bought the best stuff they had at Tiger DIrecft. It's the Cooler Master Fusion 400. The first application was a nice thin layer, but did no good...... booted into windows, fan hit 100%, tried to run kombuster and it immediately overheated and locked. Did a second application a little thicker, and it at least ran, but was still running insanely hot. Then I decided to just glob it on, and sure enough, she is running perfect...... VERY odd results.....

I looked up some reviews and it performs within 1C degree of MX-4 so it shouldn't be an issue with the compound. I've never seen a temp sernsor fail before though :facepalm:

try running a unigine benchmark,it has on screen display of card temps. see if the temps register

Ran Heaven 4.0 at the default "Extreme" setting 1600x900

It DID NOT report the temp... just says 0C (I wish, lol)

I did get 49FPS and a score of 1235....

That was with 1175/1750 clocks. I'm keeping them a little lower, with lower voltage until I can verify it's not overheating.

How are your scores in that same benchmark???

I'm thinking that I want to throw a kraken on this thing looped through an h50 maybe.... I'm not a big fan of spending money on gpu cooling, but I got the card for so cheap...... though it may be putting a band aid on an already doomed card.

I think I'll just ride till it dies, RMA it, and throw some liquid on the replacement. I don't even want to tear it apart again at this point, though I probably need to clean it up a bit to RMA it.