I'm done

Well I put in Ultimate Boot CD so as to test RAM and HDD, rebooted so as to boot from CD, at reboot it all powered on but no display or beep and keyboard/mouse didn't even light up. Stripped the whole thing apart ready to just toss it in the trash. Instead decided to try bench testing with it all just lying on the desk (not in the case) and put components back on 1 at a time until something fails. Noticed there was dust build up between the copper heatspreaders on the sticks of OCZ RAM so blew the dust out with canned air duster. Don't know if something was not quite seated right or what, but it powered back on and posted then. On post screen it said something about resetting RAM timings back to auto (default).. that makes no sense since I never change the RAM timings.

Think I will go ahead and try changing the BIOS too. Can go from P18 up to P25 and if I'm understanding right, there's recovery option in case anything goes wrong.

Mobo is D865GLC

What in the world is this? It's listed as a software application for this board.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=10292

As far as the AMD rig.. it's currently got only 2GB (2x1GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Xtreme series) DDR2-800. Hoping to up the RAM a bit, need a GPU, a decent case with nice airflow could help.. I still need a new monitor.

Not easy to get all that with limited funding (bank account is still on hold - long story.... and PayPal is suspended on me until I get bank account number from last bank to verify that the account is mine - some stupid security thing PayPal just "randomly" chose to do) and I don't drive so no way to pick anything up. Not sure I want to drive anymore the way things go with so many stupid drugged up people out there (like my idiot brothers who won't drive sober and still drive drunk/high even though they lost their licenses to DUI)...

I guess at least 1 positive is that another WU was able to finish last night. Just have to see what I can do... if I get lucky and can find a place to live for cheap in a certain neighborhood a few miles south of here I can get a job in that area making up to about $80k/year!! For me that's enough to cover everything I need and still spread a bit of the wealth.

I'm taking my machine offline permanently unless someone can tell me how to get my full 30 meg of connection to run like it should. Can't even download work units because my connection is going slower than dial up and it times out. I have no idea what my brother is doing to the internet, but it only happens when he's home and connecting who knows what. So looks like until I can move out of here I'm stuck with no reliable connection.

Justin, have you installed the chipset drivers and LAN drivers? (just asking) Have you tried a reinstall of Windows and followed the procedure I mentioned? (format, install Windows, install DirectX 10, install Chipset drivers, install all other drivers)

Do you see any bad capacitors or the likes? Have you contacted the ISP about the problem?

:geezer:

If it only happens when your brother is home, he may be saturating the connection. that will basically kill the internet for anyone else and possibly himself too (aside from whatever he's downloading/uploading). If you're able to, ask him to limit the speed of whatever he's doing.

Well it downloaded work unit sometime during the night after I went to bed. So no idea what's going on, but it took 6+ hours of trying.

As for my brother, asking him to do anything is impossible. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. He likes to think that he's a "music producer" just because he's got a computer with speaker, microphone and some "studio" software. He's no different than every other idiot "musician" today, steal other artists hard work and turn it into their own. He dropped out of high school his sophomore year, failed the G.E.D. test 3 times now (he can't even do the basic math and constitution parts of that test).. he refuses to study or work any job.

Guess I just have to move so as to not have to deal with this any longer.

Oh.. no I have not tried reinstalling Windows, just fresh installed it couple months ago (if that). No LAN driver installed since I have the LAN port disabled and use WiFi right now. All the drivers should be fine, pit test even said all are up to date. Got DirectX 9.0c installed, it installs with Windows (XP Pro) which is from a CD-R disc that was made from an original that only had SP2. This one has SP3 slipstreamed so I don't have to do the update after install.

The caps on the board look fine, a good deal of them are even solid caps next to the CPU socket. Guess I can try calling Comcast too.. maybe they can cut me a deal on adding a separate line kind of thing so I have my own. Don't know if I'll be allowed to do that though, family won't even let me run a CAT5 line for the ethernet.

Got to go run to the store real quick, it's supposed to get up to ~93* today (about 10 degrees above normal) and there's a good chance of storms later.

Been debating on whether or not to pick up a kind bare bones set up from an old friend in my old neighborhood. He's willing to give me an ECS mobo with CPU and RAM. But it's really old stuff... it would be the following board along with an Athlon XP 2800+ and some DDR333

No idea if that would even fold a little.. CPU does not even have SSE2 instructions. Might be fun to play around with in spare time though...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135153

If the family won't let you run a Cat 5 cable then I'd say somethings wrong with that picture. :yup: I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do so... The AMD mobo and 2800 would prolly Fold, albeit mighty slowly. Call Comcast and have them ping your modem if they can then the trouble is on your end somewhere...

:geezer:

I know the router is a Linksys E2500 dual band. Think I can only connect at 2.4GHz band though, this Asus USB-N13 adapter is nice but doesn't support 5GHz band. I'll look into that with Comcast then.

Still need to flash the BIOS on this board too, fresh out of floppy disks so I'll have to do with either CD or USB flash drive.

I'll talk to my buddy about that Athlon set up, but either he will have to drop it off to me or it'll have to wait a few days until I'll go pick it up... way too hot out there today. Just a quick bike ride down to the store (about 2 miles) and I want to go take a dip in some nice cold ice water!! Weather sites are saying it's currently 86 with a heat index of 97 and it's only 10AM :thud:

Someone turn off the heat and bring in some nice Canadian or Scandinavian winter!!!

That doesn't seem to be a real option.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E2500-Guest-Network-Bandwitdh-Throttle/td-p/596972

*EDIT*

May have to shut down due to weather. Temperature is now up to 91 with heat index of 106. It's getting dark outside, sky looks almost black to the north. Guess the storms are coming now, even though not supposed to be until 5PM.

Edited by JustinP526

Hmmm... guess the storm wanted to go someplace else. Holy cow did the temperature drop quick though!!

The blue marking I put is "home" and the red marking is work. Kinda glad I didn't go in today!! :mrgreen:

th_storm_zpse67bbb32.jpg

my sons mom was having trouble connecting a PS3 to her wireless network so I had her call her ISP,they set up a separate line for the PS3 and problem solved. I bet your bro is using a torrent site or something similar, my sons friends were over a while back and I noticed a slow connection,i get 150mbps down and 20mpbs up and that crap brought my connection to its knees

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to give an update here.

I did contact Comcast about this and they did not see any issues connecting with the modem or router. The technician said it was probably wireless interference. I gave them the full details of what happens and they said it sounds like someone using up all the bandwidth for some sort of P2P. Not sure what they can or can not do, but they said that the connection will be monitored for such activity and possible evidence of pirating may be turned over to the authorities.

Yesterday I tried to download Ubuntu 14.04.1 (from Ubuntu site) and it took nearly an hour to get to 2% downloaded. Tried downloading as a torrent and got the same issue. As of about 2:00-2:30 AM when everything got turned off is when it finally got moving. The whole 987MB file downloaded easily within about 3 minutes flat. uTorrent showed a down speed of 1.8MB/s. This is actually the first time I've had uTorrent on my machine in at least 8 months and I only bothered just to see if it would have better result versus the direct download.

Either way, I'm looking into a new residence. I'll see how things go and for now going to setup Ubuntu on this machine. Hopefully I get it all going just fine and have it folding again.