Linux Folding@home box keeps shutting itself off

EclipseWebJS2

So I mentioned that I have a Linux box that has a hard time keeping up with Folding@home task because when I came back to the house the other day, the machine was OFF, completely. But every other day when the machine is on, the machine turns off for no reason. Not to mention that it's running not quite as headless because it's connected through an S-Video jack to my tube TV.

The other day I had just changed the CMOS battery, and the hard drive since it started doing the "click of death" thing.

It's running off a power strip independant from the main tower CPU, which has the 550w PSU. The machine has a 400w PSU in it, and it also has a Radeon HD-4350 card inside. Should I look at my power setup and see what's going wrong, because something in the case is pulling down voltages and shutting the machine off. Maybe something along the lines on the same circuit, because every time it shuts down, the LCD screen up here glitches for a split second.

Right, speaking of shutting off, how do I get Ubuntu 14.04 to turn off when you press the Power button?

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

usually the main reason for sudden pc power shutdowns are temp related, so first thing i'd look at is the cpu temps when folding.

see if this helps you with power button options. :- http://askubuntu.com/questions/323103/lubuntu-power-button-doesnt-turn-off-computer.

sudo apt-get install acpid

:b33r:

It's running off a power strip independant from the main tower CPU, which has the 550w PSU. The machine has a 400w PSU in it,

curious but why are you using 2 power supplies for it, i'd have thought the 550 psu was enough to power everything, even the 400 on it's own is enough to power everything.

my understanding is the hd4350 has a max draw of 25w with a minimum psu recommendation of 300w.

Edited by terry1966

curious but why are you using 2 power supplies for it, i'd have thought the 550 psu was enough to power everything, even the 400 on it's own is enough to power everything.

my understanding is the hd4350 has a max draw of 25w with a minimum psu recommendation of 300w.

Look at my system specs. I'm using the Rocketfish 550w PSU in my Windows machine.

This Folding@home rig has got the 400-watter in its rig

ACPID is already the newest version.
Pressing the power button displays a series of options (lock, suspend, restart, shutdown) instead of powering the machine off automatically after 60 seconds.

I don't think anything's getting too hot, at least by not from what Psensor tells me, because when I put a new CPU cooler in my Windows machine, I had enough thermal grease to redo the paste on the CPU and video card coolers.

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

It's a newer PSU, even newer than the Rocketfish. I had a much older PSU whose 24-pin connector won't stay plugged in!

Tried setting some stuff in BIOS about Cool 'n Quiet, Spread spectrum, etc. and apparently the machine's still running. Might want to consider a new build, being that that motherboard is on its last legs, anyway.