USB Mouse support

caintry_boy

Maybe this post is irrelevant. If so, mods feel free to whack it. :)

Terry, when caintry said his device was enp*** and you said it should be eth0 - mine is also enp***. I did the ifstatus and it showed my connection with IPv4, but said IPv6 is up but still awaiting data. So I went into YaST and unticked the "enable IPv6" option.

Now I'll show you what my ifstatus reads. (I don't know how to make it all pretty-like in its own box like you people do, so just bear with me.)

KURTSBOX:~ # ifstatus eth0
Interface eth0 is not available

KURTSBOX:~ # ifstatus enp5s8
enp5s8 device: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VM (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
DHCP4 client (dhcpcd) is running
IP address: 192.168.1.2/24 (KURTSBOX)
2: enp5s8: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
link/ether 00:0b:cd:94:60:a6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.2/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global enp5s8
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
enp5s8 is up

Does that look right to everyone?

Thanks.

Edited by KurtBleach

yes looks fine, and of course if you can get on the internet it is fine, no idea why it doesn't show active ipv4 route but maybe your not connected to a router and just straight to a modem. shrugs. :mrgreen:

the device name not being eth0 is just the way they do things now in the linux kernel, so that is nothing to worry about, and to complicated for me to go into detail on, but basically they give names to the devices by the position they are connected now instead of eth0 eth1 etc.

the ipv6 option i'd leave ticked and enabled. ipv6 is needed because there are so many web pages out there they ran out of address numbers using ipv4 so needed a new way of adding more page addresses and they came up with ipv6 to get around it, again this is to complicated for me to go into in great detail but that's the gist of it, so without ipv6 enabled there may be new web sites/pages you won't be able to access.

:b33r:

the box thing (code box) is the <> sign above next to the quote icon, (only seen when making a reply,) when you click on it a new window opens and you paste whatever into it and click ok for it to be added to your post.

Edited by terry1966

OK, cool, Terry. I guess I'll re-enable IPv6, but it just seemed to me like something running unnecessarily when I'm right here on the Net reading and posting and it's still searching for data.

That's sort of another new kick I'm on - unnecessary things running in the background that I really have no use for. When I did my clean install I had a tad bit of an idea what I did and didn't need, but there's so much more I have to learn.

Oh well, isn't that part of the fun of it, anyway?

P.S. > I'm connected to the router by my cat5 cable from my eth card. Remember the jolly good time I had in here getting that all sorted out? :)

Edited by KurtBleach

yes thought that after i made the post, 192.168.x.x is an internal address so must be connected to a router, and ipv4 route not showing is probably because i use a static ip where you and caintry are using dhcp.

personally about the only thing i'd stop running are Akonadi and Nepomuk.

if you want a light install tho that uses least resources, next time don't install kde but choose lxde, under the "other" option shown during install.

personally i install loads of things that i don't really need but then again i hardly ever run into problems because i don't have something installed.

for example a default install doesn't install gcc needed to "make" a driver but because i install loads of dev patterns anyway gcc gets installed as part of those patterns.

just because things are installed tho doesn't mean they are running in the background, they just take up room on the hard drive not in memory or using any cpu resources.

you might find this interesting if you want to tweak things:- http://www.tweakhound.com/2013/12/01/opensuse-13-1-tips-tricks-and-tweaks/

more about the differences between desktops like kde and lxde that you might find interesting :- http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201109/page08.html

http://flexion.org/posts/2014-03-memory-consumption-of-linux-desktop-environments.html

Edited by terry1966