Update fails, wireless very low speed

JustinP526

Running OpenSuSE 13.1 KDE, everything seems to be working as it should. Wireless works, though very slow and Network Manager shows b/g band. Only real trouble I'm having is updates won't download/install. It starts but then stops with a pop up about KDE daemon closing unexpectedly.

Screenshots of said problem:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/jp52681/updatefail_zps887474f5.png

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/jp52681/networkconnection_zpsc7cf47df.png

juuso@linux-1zmf:~> /usr/bin/lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120 for Business
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
juuso@linux-1zmf:~> usr/sbin/iwconfig
bash: usr/sbin/iwconfig: No such file or directory

Wireless option is not available in Network Manager if I set for 'traditional method with ifup'. But allows me to use, connect and browse via FireFox when it's set to 'user controlled with Network Manager'

I had to switch back other HDD with Windows just to finish posting this. Shows full connection but 0B/s throughput so it just stopped doing anything online. Just kept going to the page about no connection.

using driver rtl8192cu

I noticed the typo afterwards and typed it in right. Tried to add it here as an edit but the connection stopped completely. It will only stay connected for roughly 60 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes, then it drops off and won't reconnect unless I reboot.

Think this would do it?

http://www.blog.paranoidpenguin.net/2013/07/how-to-install-the-asus-usb-n13-wireless-adapter-on-a-linux-system/

tried to blacklist the kernel driver but it gave an error saying file or directory does not exist.

Here's what it shows while trying to install the one from Realtek.

juuso@linux-1zmf:~/Documents/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911> make
make ARCH=i386 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build M=/home/juuso/Documents/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911  modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2
juuso@linux-1zmf:~/Documents/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911> su
Password: 
linux-1zmf:/home/juuso/Documents/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911 # make install
install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko  /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install: cannot stat ‘8192cu.ko’: No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

I can only get about 2-4 updates then have to reboot for it to reconnect wireless and have to do it that way over and over until all updates are done.. there's 238 showing.

Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to connect via wireless here.

Can't stand having to keep switching over to Window HDD just to post because it keeps dropping off in OpenSuSE.

You can not compile software without development files/libraries installed and a cuple utilities.

You would at a minimum need to have gcc, make, automake, kernel-devel installed to be able to compile a driver from source. There may be other dependencies also. They can be found on the installation DVD.

That said, pay attention to the information the terminal gives you when running commands. Errors are usually one of two things, the command was not typed correctly, or you are missing things you need. In either case when you start out to compile software or drivers, if you get an error after the first command, there no reason to try the second command as it will obviously fail.

The first error you got clearly stated you don't have the needed kernel libraries, that is because you don't have kernel development files, because you don't have kernel-devel installed.

During install I customized the install to include gcc, make, automake and cmake. Couldn't find kernel-devel listed. Maybe if I'm quick enough it can get it from an online repository before the wireless drops off. Or just check the installation DVD a little more carefully.

I tried to take notes as best I could while watching your video tutorials, which are very helpful!!

Thank you very much, I'll give it another go and see how it works out!

got kernel-devel installed, tried again and got the same error

now Network Manager won't even show up at all, can only get to YaST - Network Devices - Network Settings then edit connections with ifup and it won't connect at all anyways.

I don't have any clue at all as to what I did or what to do now to fix it or anything. I've got such a headache....

was going to install OpenSuSE 13.1 64 bit on the quad core setup as soon as I have that put together... forget it now. so I'll have a machine with no OS to put on it.

Any OS that goes on the machine will be downloaded for free and that's that.

I love how so many people preach that linux is so simple like it can be learned instantly, yet no one wants to actually teach how to do so.

Well, no big deal to me either way. This is why I stopped coming on these dumb forums the last time and it's why I'm not coming on here again now.

I give up!!!

I love how so many people preach that linux is so simple like it can be learned instantly, yet no one wants to actually teach how to do so.

Well, no big deal to me either way. This is why I stopped coming on these dumb forums the last time and it's why I'm not coming on here again now.

I give up!!!

Never saw anyone "preach" that linux could be "learned instantly", if they did they were fools, if you believed them well........... Needless to say if you give up because of one problem, and because you have difficulty and think that is somehow the forums or it's members fault, then I would like to bid you adieu!