Change Mode

I'm downloading PC Matic for the first time on a computer that's been running AVG (free version) for years. The problem is that, though it downloads, it doesn't want to start. When I tell the program to start running, I get a cycle of error messages, usually two of three.

- "Registry: Unable to create WScript.Shell"

- "'REG' is null or not an object."

- "Error: Unable to get value of the property 'SetString': object is null or unidentified."

After these messages (the first, and one or the other of the second two) I get the "PC Matic is Loading" screen, and it'll stay there for as long as I leave it open, and not close until I force the task to end or uninstall it.

I've rebooted my computer several times, tried to download from both Chrome and IE (uninstalling between each attempt), and even updated my OS and IE in the hopes that that would fix the problem. I've uninstalled AVG, and am currently running the Windows Firewall by itself (makes me feel like my poor computer is naked).

Before doing all this, of course, I backed up my system to an external HD.

I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't even know what these errors mean, and I can't seem to find anything online that explains it in plain English. I'm not a terribly tech-savvy person (as might be evidenced by the fact that I've had this computer since '08 and never updated my system until last night) and really just want things to work the way they're supposed to. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm not sure how that helps at all. Downloading PC Matic doesn't work, and I don't know how to fix whatever problem my computer apparently has with it.

EDIT: I feel really silly. Reacted without actually reading what you sent me.

It works now. Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by Karma Squirrel