HP Pavilion dv6809wm No operating system found, no IDE device after ha

jdog13

Howdy, I have an HP Pavilion DV6809wm laptop that had Windows Vista or 7 on it. The product key that was supplied with the computer was no good and the the grace period for using windows expired and the laptop was shelved. Being that I never liked Bill anyway, I got a copy of Linux Ubantu on CD, reconfigured the bios to boot from the DVD drive, put in the Linux disc, restarted the computer and..............."No operating system found". I ran a hard disc test and it said,"No IDE device found". The computer ran perfectly until Bill shut down my permission to use his operating system. Finally to my question: How do I get the computer to recognize it's own HDD and load Linux? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

run a linux live cd and see if the drive is seen and can be accessed, if it can then open a terminal and run this command to zero the drive and wipe all data from it.

shred -vz -n0 /dev/sda

now install the linux os.

if the drive isn't seen by the linux live cd then i'm afraid i think it has failed and your going to need to get a new hard drive.

:b33r:

on second thoughts after re-reading your post,

"No operating system found"

did you burn the linux iso as an image to the dvd? that sounds like you just wrote it across to the dvd when it needs to be burned as an "image"

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm

Edited by terry1966

I have been assuming that the drive was ok because it worked perfectly untill Bill said pay me. I had already paid him once and was not going to do it again. I will hook it up to a usb on another computer and see what happens.

Thanks terry, I did not have any DVD blanks left and I live out in the sticks, so I actually paid for a copy of Linux on a real pretty DVD. I hope I am posting this reply is in the correct spot.

does it actually work tho? it should boot up and give you an options page or at least show you it's starting the install, you shouldn't get the "No operating system found" error message if it works, and why i thought you didn't burn it correctly.

yes the "No IDE device found" error message tho does sound like the drives failed but i'd still double check with a few different options like connecting it to another pc as your doing.

quickest way to see if the drive is the problem is to go into the bios and see if it shows up there, if it does then it's usually fine if it doesn't then you know it's dead.

Edited by terry1966

Thanks Terry for the advise and for taking the time to help. It does not look good for the hard drive at this point. The computer has never left my desk since I took it out of the box, can't have many hours on it. I never really even got it set up with any of my usual programs. And Kurt, as far as being friends with Bill, Bill and I do not fish together and I have never accepted any offers to go out drinking. He claims that the activation code that came with my computer had been used and wanted me to pay his country club fees for the month to get a new one. The HP came from Best Buy, the box was sealed and Best Buy said it was not their problem, call Bill. I have bought 3 other new HP laptops and never had a problem. I gave one to my mom, one to my wife and one to my daughter. It was finally dad's turn, this one is my 4th and last, absolutely no support anywhere. Except for you guys of course. Thanks again

to be honest, seeing how it's new i'd have thought you'd have certain legal rights that best buy should uphold and either swap it for a new one or repair it free of charge, so i would get back in touch with them and kick up a fuss, failing that your next best bet is to contact hp direct and i would think they'd get you to return it to them for repair and when you got it back it would have a new hard drive with a working windows 7 os.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support.html

then of course you could install linux on it if you wanted either dual boot or do a clean wipe and install, not forgetting to make 2 backup images of the drive first, so you could restore it to an as new condition with the windows os back on it at a later date if required.

Edited by terry1966

Howdy, I wanted to post what I found out about my DV6809 HDD/operating systen problem just in case it helps someone else out. To begin with, HP, Microsoft, and Best Buy are all blaming each other and have treated me like a criminal. If some one suggests something new, that I have not tried yet in dealing with the greedy :filtered:s that built and sold this computer to me, I will let you know that it is a new idea and do my best to make it work. Anyway, the HDD is fine, It worked perfectly before Bill got greedy, but then, so did the motherboard. I checked the bios again just for G.P. and still no HDD shows up. I removed the hard drive and hooked it up to a usb on another computer and it works fine. For some reason the motherboard has decided to completely ignor the Hard drive. No physical problems visable on the board itselfs and the connections are good.

to be honest it does sound like you have a motherboard failure of some type if it's not seeing the hard drive, regardless of the timing i don't think it's microsofts fault.

reminds me of the samsung fiasco from a year or so ago :- http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/booting-linux-instead-of-windows-8-bricks-some-samsung-laptops/

so really it is down to either best buy or hp to replace the laptop in my opinion.

speak to a manager in best buy and tell them if they want to keep your custom then they should sort out the problem if still no joy then i would contact hp again and get them to fix the laptop under warranty, just tell them the laptop doesn't work and the hard drive doesn't show up in bios or with a linux live cd.

Edited by terry1966