Sign in to follow this  
clhardingjr

NRMTEST.log

What is the purpose of leaving the 2 nrmtest.log files (.txt & .xml) on the desktop after PCmatic has completed, when there used to be a time that these files where not shown. There can be multiple copies of these files if not deleted. I've noticed this for quite a while and finally decided to pose the question. :IG:

Those files should not be left on the desktop. They should be in the C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\PC Matic folder.

Is PC Matic installed to the default location on that computer?

No the installer defaulted to Program Files(86), where it always defaulted to on my machines even though they are 64-bit machines. I will uninstall it and direct the installer to the Programs Files folder and see what happens. Many Thanks!

Just to be sure, d/l'ed the current version (1.1.0.51) and used it to do the install. I deleted the application via Control Panel>Progams & Features and had to uninstall Nitro manually as a separate program. The installer defaulted to C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Pitstop\PC Matic\ and I directed it to C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\PC Matic\. Ran the scan and the logs did not show on the desktop. Even though I uninstalled the application via Control Panel>Program & Features, the uninstall did not remove the C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Pitstop\PC Matic\ folder and its contents. The new install also did not provide me a way to reinstall Nitro. How do I install Nitro at this point or is there something that I can move to the new default folder prior to deleting the old folder?

I apologize for not getting more information earlier. The Program Files (x86) would be the default for a 64 bit system, but since the log files did not show up again I would recommend just leaving it in Program Files now.

You should be able to open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and reinstall Nitro from there.

Now I'm totally confused. What is the default parent folder for the PC Pitstop application regardless of whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit? I was able to install the main application into the parent folder C:\Program Files\. Prior to deleting the C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Pitstop\PC Matic\ folder and its contents, I noticed that the Nitro and Info Center applications are also associated with the parent folder C:\Program Files (x86). Therefore, I had to re-designate those applications also during their installation process, since I didn't want to spread everything into different parent folders. If the final answer is C:\Program Files (x86), it still doesn't explain the original problem. :rollingpin:

Edited by clhardingjr

For 32 bit systems the default is C:\Program Files, for 64 bit systems the default is C:\Program Files (x86).

Yes, the original problem of leaving log files on the desktop is a bug of some kind. That should not be happening.
Did this problem just start a few days ago or has it been going on longer than that? If you delete those files do they come back when a new PC Matic scan is run?
What versions of Windows is this happening on, Vista, XP, etc?

For 32 bit systems the default is C:\Program Files, for 64 bit systems the default is C:\Program Files (x86).

Yes, the original problem of leaving log files on the desktop is a bug of some kind. That should not be happening.
Did this problem just start a few days ago or has it been going on longer than that? If you delete those files do they come back when a new PC Matic scan is run?
What versions of Windows is this happening on, Vista, XP, etc?

The system is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, and this problem has been going on for the last several months. The deleted files did come back after doing a new scan. At first I thought that it might have been because I have XML Maker 2, which is a xml editor, but that is not the case as I had re-imaged the system at least once during that time and the files appeared prior to installing XML Maker 2. The problem still existed when I had upgraded PC Pitstop to the current version, which is at the point that I raised the question. Since installing all three portions of the product in the parent folder C:\PROGRAM FILES\, I've have not had the problem.

Thank you for the additional information.

If you now look in C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\PC Matic are the two files in that folder as they should be?

Thank you for the additional information.

If you now look in C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\PC Matic are the two files in that folder as they should be?

Yes they are.

Shouldn't these be reversed as in 32-bit is C:\Program Files (x86), for 64-bit C:\Program Files?

On a 64 bit Windows systems, 32 bit programs install into the Program Files (x86) folder, 64 bit programs install into the Program Files folder.

On 32 bit Windows systems, there is no Program Files (x86) folder, 32 bit programs install into the Program Files folder.