Change Mode

MS Office for Linux?

Microsoft is taking a serious look at bringing Office to Linux, and has a full native port (not delivered via a WINE wrapper or some such means) in an unknown degree of completion that they have already in development internally.

http://opensuseadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/microsoft-may-bring-office-to-linux-in.html

2014 could be the year that Linux gets office.......

Libre Office as good as it is is no where near as powerful a MS Office and despite claims is not fully compatible (try running macros on Libre) and does not have the full font set and has problems with documents created from templates in MS, that's before you try to run VB scripts in Excel or even basic animations and sounds from powerpoint.

I see this as a good thing. Many companies will not make the switch to Linux because of the lack of support for MS Office (and I know you can run it in WINE); this could be a deal breaker for a lot of small to medium enterprises and give Linux a good run.

Everything you listed are Microsoft problems Nigsy.

You see you keep saying compatible, compatible, compatible......................

The way I see it is Microsoft is not compatible, it is so incompatible that it isn't compatible with its own previous versions of office.

If you really look into the compatibility problem, I mean really look at it it doesn't take long to see that the open source products are compatible with loads of formats, other systems and other software, while MS Office is only compatible with itself and only the most recent version.

You have the compatibility issue backwards. ;)

When you consider the fact that what MS Office creates has to be reverse engineered, and ODF needs only to be implemented, and MS still doesn't fully work with all ODF formats and libre office will open and work with just about any MS Format from the last 20 years to the most current, compatibility certainly is an issue, but it isn't one for the open source software. In fact they have done an incredible job of creating a fully functioning suite that works.

I recently installed Libre Office on our town clerks computer because MS was trying to steal more money, because her current version of office could not open many MS Office documents, they all opened and worked flawlessly in Libre Office......................................for free.

Edited by Bruce

Sorry Bruce you're wrong.

MS are the leaders in this field; if you want to play your product needs to be either better or be able to fully handle MS format. Open Office etc can handle most basic files from MS but when you want to do something a bit more powerful that's when you hit problems. I say that; but even the most basic functionality in Powerpoint can not be used in Open Office solutions. No good when 100% of the people I contract for exclusively expect presentations in .pptx.

So the issue for companies are that when the majority of businesses use Microsoft Office you have to use it as well. I'd love to be able to create documents on Libre and send it to another business and then just tell them that it's their problem they can't open the document as they are using MS Office and the compatibility issue is with them. It's just not going to happen.

I really see this as a positive move as I see a lot of smaller businesses being able to make the move to Linux and keep MS Office. If it increases Linux's market share in the desktop world it's got to be a good thing.

Apparently you haven't looked at Libre Office presentations, I can create, open, edit and save in pptx format.

That said, I don't see a proprietary format that locks people in and "forces" them to upgrade as a positive thing, it may be for people who really enjoy the embrace, extend, extinguish crowd but for people who want reliable, productive, compatible, and affordable solutions a locked down, limited solution isn't it.

Then you have the problem of they support it today, forget about it tomorrow problem.

Apparently you haven't looked at Libre Office presentations, I can create, open, edit and save in pptx format.

Of course I've looked at LO presentations; I use it all the time and it works perfectly for me. And if I'm running presentations off my own laptop that's fine. If I need to send the presentation to a client; after saving it as .pptx; when they open it in MS Office it looses formatting; embedded sound files don't work animations are hit and miss. It's easy to dismiss that as Microsofts problem; but I can hardly turn around to a client and say that. Give me MS Office I can run on SUSE and the issue goes away.

I don't care if it's proprietary or locked down; I need the functionality and if I need to upgrade it every 5 years to stay current that is what I am prepared to do.

My only concern is security.

Again you complain about compatibility being LO problem. It isn't it is a MS problem, and bringing those problems over isn't a solution, it makes the problem larger and more widespread. The goal is not compatibilty with MS, the goal is embrace, extend, extinguish.

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish" also known as "Embrace, extend, and exterminate", is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found was used internally by Microsoft to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences to disadvantage its competitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Edited by Bruce

I'd love to be able to create documents on Libre and send it to another business and then just tell them that it's their problem they can't open the document as they are using MS Office

And if they are using an old version of office that can't open the files you would? Perhaps tell them to spend several hundred. or thousands for new versions, rather then tell them there is a free alternative that will work for them?

I don't care if it's proprietary or locked down; I need the functionality and if I need to upgrade it every 5 years to stay current that is what I am prepared to do.

They have you right where they want you............. Glad I don't suffer that way.

Edited by Bruce

I mainly contact to large multinational companies or to local authorities and have never hit an issue with backward compatability I can't remember the last time I saw office 2003. If I were to a approach and advise an organisation that they should move to open office over Ms I would get laughed off site and would quickly run out of work. That is the reality of the world I work in. I am locked into MS for work so I roll with it. At home and for personal or small bits work that stay with me I'll take libre office all the time.

from Aug 2013

http://lifehacker.com/battle-of-the-office-suites-microsoft-office-and-libre-1147940828

For the most part, Calc and Excel work the same way. If you're a light spreadsheet user, you probably won't notice much difference between the two. Both can do basic calculations, handle light math, and organize tables in a variety of ways. However, if you use a lot of Excel macros and programming, then you're going to struggle with Calc.P

The reason is that Calc has its own macro language and it's not always compatible with Excel's VBA format. This means if you're trying to switch over to Calc from Excel, you may need to redo a lot of your macros. That said, Calc macros do translate well to Excel—just not the other way around—so if you're just sending off your own spreadsheets to other people, Calc may suffice.P

The Bottom Line

If you're new to spreadsheets or just a light user, Calc gets the job done. However, if you're working in an environment where you're sharing a lot of macros then you're best off sticking with Excel. Both of them are easy to get started with, support the same file formats, and offer a pretty close selection of features.

from March 2014

http://netrunner-mag.com/libreoffice-vs-microsoft-office-part-deux/

Using LibreOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office is much like driving hybrid cars. It will work perfectly, as long as you restrict yourself to an odd 100 km commute, with a plenty of recharging stations along the route, and making sure you have a home kit. Otherwise, you’ll be left stranded. Same here. The conversion works, but it comes with a long list of disclaimers that is just not practical for daily use.

Yes, LibreOffice 4.2 is stunning fast, it’s much prettier, and it comes with a few handy tricks up its sleeve. It’s free too, and it’s a perfectly sane solution, as long as you do not intend to marry outside your village. Cross the border into another shire, and you face big trouble. The conclusion is two-fold then. LibreOffice is a great program for people who use ODT as their primary document format. And LibreOffice is still a terrible choice if you have to share your files with other people, most of whom probably use Microsoft Office. I wish the conclusion was happier, but the magical moment of LibreOffice dominance is still not here.

I guess the bottom line is: If you're a Linux user and believe that the release of Office will make your tasks easier and more fluid with those that you share with, then this will be good

If you're a Linux user with a venomous attitude toward MS and the people who choose it - you will probably continue to belittle and scorn those that walk that path.

Sorry that you have to work with so many ignorant people.

I guess SAP & Oracle who are my biggest sources of work will no doubt be hurt by your comment and switch all their PC and insist all their customers switch to ODF formats. And of course they will have to re-write all of their software to work with ODF as both an output and input format. All the ETL progammes I work with the 3rd party vendors can re-write...the list is endless.

I think I'll remain an ignorant Linux user who isn't so blinkered as to accept that this is just a welcome tool for me to use.

from Aug 2013

http://lifehacker.com/battle-of-the-office-suites-microsoft-office-and-libre-1147940828

from March 2014

http://netrunner-mag.com/libreoffice-vs-microsoft-office-part-deux/

I guess the bottom line is: If you're a Linux user and believe that the release of Office will make your tasks easier and more fluid with those that you share with, then this will be good

If you're a Linux user with a venomous attitude toward MS and the people who choose it - you will probably continue to belittle and scorn those that walk that path.

No that would be incorrect. If you are a person who understands that Excel creates problems for others because of it's proprietary formats that take considerable work to use in any other office suite than you try to avoid it at all costs as it will only make more work in the future, and cost you more money to remain on the pay upgrade treadmill. As far as a dislike for Microsoft, well dislike of any company that violates the public trust, violates contracts, steals intellectual property, and breaks laws to extinguish competitors at the expense of real technological advancement and open standards, all which do nothing but cost us as individuals hundreds of dollars, companies, corporations, and businesses millions of dollars and the tax payers billions and billions of dollars when it is not necessary. If that is an unreasonable argument or reason to dislike Microsoft, Apple, Oracle....................... well than count me as unreasonable.