Linux Mint and PC Matic

Virginia Girl

I recently downloaded Linux Mint 16 Petra alongside Windows XP (but can't get to Windows when computer starts). I also subscribe to PC Matic, but it cannot be run on Windows apparently since I can't get to it. Is there a download for PC Matic for Linux Mint and, if so, where can I download it?

(but can't get to Windows when computer starts)

did you install mint "alongside windows" or did you "overwrite" the windows os?

we can probably fix things so you have a choice to start either the windows os or the mint os as long as you did the install correctly and never wiped (overwritten) your windows os partition.

when/if that's fixed you can then start windows and run pcmatic as normal then.

:b33r:

in mint open a terminal and run this command

sudo fdisk -l

then post the output in your next reply and we'll see if your windows os partition is still there and can probably be booted.

Edited by terry1966

Bruce: Thanks for the information.

Terry: I opened Terminal and saw the following "mary@marydesktop $: I entered the command you said to enter: "sudo fdisk -l" and it asked for a sudo password, which my signin password did not work. How do I get rid of that information in Terminal, so I can use the command you said to enter? I need a lot of help with Linux!

I did load Linux Mint 16 with a 64 bit disc on a 32-bit computer, so don't know whether or not this made a difference. I did indicate to load it alongside Windows, but my disc did not retract at the end, so I removed it myself.

I did download a 32-bit Linux Mint 16, but since I did not know how to install it, I didn't use. I bought one from Disc OS and used that. Could I load Linux Mint 16 from the one I downloaded and do you suppose it would work?

Terry: I opened Terminal and saw the following "mary@marydesktop $: I entered the command you said to enter: "sudo fdisk -l" and it asked for a sudo password, which my signin password did not work. How do I get rid of that information in Terminal, so I can use the command you said to enter? I need a lot of help with Linux!

you don't get rid of the mary@marydesktop $: part because that just says where you currently are in the file system so is expected and is always there in some shape or form.

the sudo fdisk -l command you entered worked correctly BUT it needs the root password if different from your login password to be entered before it can actually finish running and produce an output.

I did load Linux Mint 16 with a 64 bit disc on a 32-bit computer, so don't know whether or not this made a difference.

nope that's fine, makes no difference to the windows os and as you can tell the 64bit mint os is working just fine(even if it takes a bit of getting used to).

I did indicate to load it alongside Windows, but my disc did not retract at the end, so I removed it myself.

good then your windows os should still be there with any luck.

when you start the pc do you get a menu or does it just boot straight into mint?

i'd have thought you should get a menu and one of those options in the menu should be your windows os, you just use the arrow keys to highlight it and then hit enter and it should boot into your windows os instead of mint.

I did download a 32-bit Linux Mint 16, but since I did not know how to install it, I didn't use. I bought one from Disc OS and used that. Could I load Linux Mint 16 from the one I downloaded and do you suppose it would work?

not really sure what your trying to accomplish here, mint is already installed and working just fine so don't see the need to do a re-install but yes you could burn the 32bit image you downloaded to a dvd then use that dvd to install mint 32bit if you wanted, personally i wouldn't bother, like i said mint is installed and working.

now never having installed mint for years i'm not familiar with the options your given when installing it so don't know if you entered a separate root password or just needed to enter a single password for both login and root control.

but without entering the correct password the fdisk command i gave you won't do anything.

so i'd try it again making sure you entered the password correctly, linux is case sensitive so everything has to be exactly the same as you entered when setting the password. eg "E" is not the same as "e" so if you typed in e where there should be E then it will not work.

if you think you've entered the password correctly and it still doesn't work then it might be a good idea to reset your root password. this link should show you how to do this :- http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1355

then try it again using the new password you set.

Edited by terry1966

Terry:

Thanks so much for your information. I'll tell you where I am now and what has happened.

Since loading Linux, I changed my login password once, but apparently the root password did not change and I don't remember what it was when I first loaded the system. It did ask me to enter a password. My system boots directly into Mint. I did follow directions in your reference on how to reset the root password, but it didn't work. It booted directly into Mint again without stopping for Grub menu.

I think what I'll do is load the 32-bit DVD in and see what happens. Maybe that will help solve some of this problem. Will let you know what happens.

Mary

Terry:

SOLVED! I can now get to Windows. Guess it was kind of by accident. When I started computer and it went to that black screen right before Linux Mint comes up, I happened to see Windows as the last entry (although very, very dim looking), so I used the arrow key and clicked on it and it went into Windows. So, thanks for your input - it did really help and I really appreciate it.

Mary

yes thought it should be in the menu because you installed mint "alongside" windows.

i'd suggest using mint more tho and getting used to that especially now xp is no longer supported by microsoft so will become an easy target for malware.