USB3 Speeds:

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.79198 s, 599 MB/s

USB2 Speeds:

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.7995 s, 60.3 MB/s

I think that's pretty impressive..nearly 10x as fast on USB3!!

that's better. :clap:

must admit i'm surprised at both speeds.

that must be a very fast drive you have there for 600MBs.

and didn't think usb2 was as fast as 60.3MBs either. :laughing:

can you run the test 1 last time but this time change the 1024 number to 3072 so it writes a 3GB file.

:tup:

:b33r:

I've read online that it maybe down to the file structure (NTFS) and that it always mounts as root and can't be changed?? Is this true?

didn't know that, i've never used ntfs on an external drive, think mine have always been formatted either ext or fat. i believe there is a newer exfat file system for larger external drives but don't think i've ever used that either.

and for future reference to do what bruce said

That does not need to be changed. You simply need to allow others/users to read and write.

in my earlier post, where it said this

access permissions i'd leave at defaults which are usually owner can view+ modify content, group can view content and others can view content.

what you do is change the group to can view+modify content from it's view content setting.

then you wouldn't have had a problem with the ntfs drive so didn't need to format it to ext4 where it now can't be used on a windows system.

Edited by terry1966

I'm going to reformat it back to NTFS. I just could not permissions to change under that file structure..whether that be simply leaving root as owner and changing the group setting or actually changing the owner completly..the settings would not stick! Once the file format was ext4 I followed exactley the process you outlined and changed the permissions; ok I went a step further and changed ownership but it worked and I did nothing different under ext4 than I did for the NTFS file system. Strange stuff.

Anyway...speed results with a 3gb file:

USB2:

3072+0 records in
3072+0 records out
3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 514.349 s, 6.3 MB/s

USB3:

3072+0 records in
3072+0 records out
3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 57.5891 s, 55.9 MB/s

I think these speeds are a bit more realistic; not sure where the first set of results came from; but USB3 is still nearly 10x as fast.

usb3 is 10x faster than usb2 so yes that's correct and much more like the speeds i'd expect. thanks.

i think the 1gb file size went straight to cache or something before the actual write to drive and why they were what i think are the max theoretical speeds and not the actual write speeds that the larger 3gb file size shows us because that one doesn't all fit in cache memory.

don't have a spare drive at minute to test but i'm pretty certain if formatted as ntfs and owner/group set to root/user and access permissions set to owner can view+modify, group can view+modify, others can view (maybe even set this to can view+modify) that you won't have any problems writing to it and you'll have full use of it on a windows pc.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Seemed to have lost a reply...so I'll try again!

Now I have a stable mount point I used gparted and reformatted the drive back to NTFS and now ownership has resorted back to root ; but the user group has defaulted to read / write access. Exactly what I wanted. Time to quit while ahead.