cannot connect to Internet (resolved)

freedom01

I have a friend's laptorp (Vista) in fromt of me and it just did a complete scan (Internet Cecurity Pro, whatever that is) and came up with mess of Togans/Worms (59 Threats). What showed up after the scan was a box asking for Registration email and Registration key before I can activate. On e of the problems I am having is that I cannot get online because all the threats. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I amy be able to do to remove threats and then possibly getting on line so I can install another Security Protection.

Thank you,

Tom

Edited by freedom01

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vista PC says that I am connected to the internet, but I think that BlasterWorm is stopping me from going on line. Is there a way to remove BlasterWorm without going on line? Looks as though I ahve much to remove in this project. I do appreciate all the help.

I downloaded Stinger and I put the flash drive in my computer, but for some reason I cannot see the flash drive to send or drag the file to.

Did a system restore and it seems a couple of the main issues may be gone (I know it is still a mess) but now IE is saying it has stopped working even though it says I am connected.

Edited by freedom01

Not quite sure what is going on, it seems no matter what I click I get meeasge "Not Working. Emal, IE, Google Chrome, Control Panel, My Donuments (Documents are there). I would hate to pass back this lap top worse than when I got it.

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

?Under General tab:

• Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
  • Click OK twice to save the settings.
  • Reboot if you had to change any setting.
4. Flush the DNS cache:
  • Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following (one at a time):

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset
  • Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

I am using Windows Vista (not a fan of OS) and when I go to control panel and I do find something similiar to Wireless Network Connection, but for the life of me I just can't seem to locate Internet Protocol (TCP?IP). I am in Safe Mode right now and in the search bar at the top I do see Search History. Like I mentioned in previous post I did a system restore and it appeared that Internet Security and BlasterWorm were gone, but they just popped up again.

I am using Windows Vista (not a fan of OS) and when I go to control panel and I do find something similiar to Wireless Network Connection, but for the life of me I just can't seem to locate Internet Protocol (TCP?IP). I am in Safe Mode right now and in the search bar at the top I do see Search History. Like I mentioned in previous post I did a system restore and it appeared that Internet Security and BlasterWorm were gone, but they just popped up again.

I was able to upload Malwarebytes through SafeMode even though it said there was a Host issue. I am doing a full scan and it seems to be running okay.

Malwarybytes finished the scan and removed 26 threats, but for some reason still have Internet Security Pro and Blaster Worm popping up. Also something knew just made its debut (Internet Security is saying FIREWALL WARNING (2 options Block Attack or Allow. They both sound like a possible threat. Have to choose one, cannot close the box. Time to reboot. Still can't get on line. Should I give up at this point (would like to have victory in this). Is there an answer short of calling it quits?

Malwarybytes finished the scan and removed 26 threats, but for some reason still have Internet Security Pro and Blaster Worm popping up. Also something knew just made its debut (Internet Security is saying FIREWALL WARNING (2 options Block Attack or Allow. They both sound like a possible threat. Have to choose one, cannot close the box. Time to reboot. Still can't get on line. Should I give up at this point (would like to have victory in this). Is there an answer short of calling it quits?

Just made it one step closer (I pray) to success.... I am on line. Thank you so much for your help. I know I'm not finished yet, but never thought I would get on line.

I would like for you to start a new topic here

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/25-have-i-been-hijacked/

Please include the results of the following scans.

Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)

There are 6 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin

You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

• rkill.exe
  • rkill.com
  • rkill.scr
  • rkill.pif
  • WiNlOgOn.exe
  • uSeRiNiT.exe
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

(use correct version for your system.....Which system am I using?)
    and Tutorial http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
    • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    • Please copy and paste log back here.
    • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

I feel you will have to do all of this in safemode with networking, if 1 wont run move on to the other.

I would be glad to do what you ask. Are you asking me to use these programs in the laptop I am working on? What exactly will these or one of these do? Just tell me what you would have me do I will be glad to do it.

Tom

What I thought I was following was your computer and, it's infected and wasn't able to connect to the internet right?, but can now because Malwarybytes ran, found infected items, you rebooted? and now you have internet connection again?

One of the quick scans (Rkill) checks for malicious processes, if found it stops it. Wont be a system file just a known bad malware file.

The other scan (Farbar Recovery Scan) is really a terrific tool we use to check further into the system for malicious processes, files, folders and drivers.

There is no personal information collected or tampered with.

It is non invasive and does not remove anything untill a script is created to remove infectious items found.

Then, the other forum I posted is where we handle malware removal.

NO, it is not my personal computer I am working on it's a friend's laptop. I would be glad and use these for the laptop because it looks as though I still have a ways to go. Here are a few things that I am still dealing with. I try to do Windows Updates and I get a pop up box saying "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I did restart computer and still cannot do updates. Not sure if this is contributing to another issue. I tried to install Virus protection (has no protection at the moment) Avast and then MS Security Essentials and what happens is that it will Run the program, but it will NOT install. Do you think by bringing those programs you suggest may help? Thank you! The way I got Mayware was to bring it in on a flash drive, but that was before I got on line. Still do not think I would be able to install MalWareBytes because I also tried to install SuperAntiSpyware and like I said it will Run, but did not install.

Some of these tools should install in safe mode....have you tried that?

It sounds like the service for Windows update has been set or disturbed by infection which often can be restored.

It doesn't matter if it's a friends computer or yours, we work on malware removal.

Couple of things to try:

The 2 tools I posted in previous reply are good at locating and showing infection points.

I'll supply a tool that scans for USB infection and provides alerts if items are found.

Also, another tool to try and reset windows services.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The below tool is good for future uses of a USB drive.

It will scan any USB plugged into the computer.

Mcshield USB Protection

You should always press and hold the Shift key anytime you insert a Flash drive into any computer. That will disable the autorun feature.

Download Mc2Shield USB Protection Software and save it to your desktop.

• Double click the McShield-Setup.exe file to start the installation and install with Default settings.
  • Right click the McShield-Setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator and OK any UAC prompts to start the installation and install with the Default settings
  • In the control center, select the Scanner tab and check Always unhide items on flash drives

mcshield%20unhide.JPG

Anytime you plug in a USB drive, McShield will scan the device.

A log will also be generated that you will find in the path below:

Start > all programs > MCShield > logs > all scans

You can download the program documentation on the same page. Just click the down arrow beside the language of your choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE:

If this computer is severely infected it wont allow the tool to run or, corrections will not be made.

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

p22001645.gif

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22001646.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

p22001166.gif

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

p22001647.gif

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

Hi Juliet, I placed Rkill and Farber on a Flash Drive and went to laptop. Rkill showed that there was some sort of problem, but when it came to scanning with Farber I think there may have been an issue being that my computer would not take it unless it was 64 Bit. Would I be able to instal Mc2shield process into lap top without Flash Drive? I'm going to work on this all weekend hoping to get problems resolved. I so appreciate all your help. Have a wonderful Friday.

Tom

Hi Juliet, I placed Rkill and Farber on a Flash Drive and went to laptop. Rkill showed that there was some sort of problem, but when it came to scanning with Farber I think there may have been an issue being that my computer would not take it unless it was 64 Bit. Would I be able to instal Mc2shield process into lap top without Flash Drive? I'm going to work on this all weekend hoping to get problems resolved. I so appreciate all your help. Have a wonderful Friday.

Tom

There are 2 versions of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32 bit and 64 bit, one or the other should run on the computer.

If the computer can connect to the internet to download Mc2shield fine, if you want to protect the computer switching back or forth with tools, apply it there. If the infected computer can connect to the internet theres no need to use it on for switching files/downloads between the two.

It may work better to download the tools then drop into safe mode to see if they will run from there.

Also, I'm moving this topic (If I can ) to the malware removal forum, will be leaving a link for you to follow.

Was looking for this in the other forum, but could not locate it. Anyway I guess that's it.

Looks as though I'm going to have to tell him to trash this laptop. I've tried numerous times to try and get some kind of Virus scan program to download, but all failed. I tried Safe Mode...nothing. I cannot gat any kind of virus protection so I guess that is it. I hate giving up, but do not have any solution. Thank you so much for all your help.

Tom

Was looking for this in the other forum, but could not locate it. Anyway I guess that's it.

Apologies.

I moved the topic at Juliets' request to a more appropriate forum...forgot to leave the link to the original post. My bad.

It looks like you've found it now though so either carry on following Juliets' instructions which will get you there in the end or I guess you could just do a complete re=install of the OS...but that would be a last resort. My advice keep following the instructions!!

Apologies.

I moved the topic at Juliets' request to a more appropriate forum...forgot to leave the link to the original post. My bad.

It looks like you've found it now though so either carry on following Juliets' instructions which will get you there in the end or I guess you could just do a complete re=install of the OS...but that would be a last resort. My advice keep following the instructions!!

I was able to install (not through Safe Mode) Kaspersky Virus scan with flash drive. It is doing the scan right now and we will see what happens. It is telling me computer is at risk (which I knew) but will this program make it so I can install a virus protection?