OK, the Penguin be buggin me out now

KurtBleach

Hello once again, Linux buds. You know who you are.

Here's a crazy story, maybe someone can make sense of it all. It's been slower than molasses in January up in here (Hi, caintry - I know you've heard that one, great to see you still up and kicking), so here's a lil tale to pass the time.

OK, people around here know about my problems before with vids not working in openSUSE 12.3, so I went back to 12.2. And then there was the grief about my CD/DVD drive dying and all the problems I had with trying to figure out fstab settings to reconfigure or re-recognize the drive or whether it had just died. I started with 12.1, had success going to 12.2, but 12.3 messed me up.

Anyway, I was happy with 12.2, but with the big scare with Window$ and the end of support for whichever OS (7 or 7.1 - I don't follow M$), I figured it would be good to go to openSUSE 13.1. It's stable, right? So I used the method I did the 12.1 to 12.2 with - go into Yast, edit the repos by changing the numbers, do the update. Update to 13.1 seemed to work great, but then every time I tried to log on, NADA. I'd do the recovery mode and get a CLI-only mode, but I ain't savvy enough to work that. Out of desperation, I threw the old 12.2 disc into the slot and said what the hell.

Check this: the drive worked! I was able to reinstall 12.2, and I've since done all the updates available and my disc drive is working. Did Tux himself (or herself, icon is sorta androgynous) do a miracle, or did the 13.1 update fix the drive?

Hell. Hades. New Jersey. I know not which had the magic, I just know I'm running 12.2 again, I can rock to CDs or DVDs to my heart's content, and I have no clue how it happened.

Well, it's been slow in here like I said. I hope I gave you all a laugh at my idiocy, but then again, it would be cool if someone could explain how a deal like this could have happened.

Peace.

Edited by KurtBleach

OK, enough is enough and it gets really :filtered: enough. See my cheery tone in the above post? Oh hell no, no mas. Maybe my drive didn't like Jeff Healey, but once I went to pause the tune to visit the john, no more action. Filters are harsh in here, but let's just say I'm urinated. WTH do I have to do? Go back to 13.1 which doesn't work, and then use the 12.2 disc which will work until I do any updating? 1:43 AM, all is cool. 2:40 AM? All is a cluster F again. I'm not trying to be some kind of geek, all I want is a box that will let me google stuff and listen to good music on. I don't need to spy on Putin, I just want my tunes. And once again, squat. Jack :filtered: Squat. Jack Squat would eat the lean and my box will eat no music.

And if it does work tomorrow, I'll just look for my local cyanide dealer (heroin is so passe and cliche - Oxys are the new exit) to take me out of here.

WTFingF!

Nigel, that is what is so crazy about this. I was happy enough in 12.2, but I had no CD/DVD drive. I decided to go up to 13.1, and then I couldn't do anything at all with my PC. It was a last resort before I just smashed my head through the monitor to think of killing it with a disc in the CD drive. Nigel, it worked. So I did a total clean install with the 12.2 disc. Formatted the whole HDD and started over. From there I simply updated my Firefox and got my extensions back (AdBlockPlus and Better Privacy, that's all I need). Listened to CDs, watched DVDs, everything was cool. I don't know which version of SUSE you have, but mine was where you pop in the CD and then you get that dialogue asking you how you want to deal with it. I'd open it with VLC if I just want to rock our and hear tunes. But now, I get nothing at all from putting in a disc, and if I run the Disk Utility app in KDE, it does not recognize any media.

So now I can't do a clean install because the drive doesn't work, and obviously my CDs don't work.

How do I try to fix this?

instead of giving your money to your dealer i'd suggest giving it to these people :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827190021

there are cheaper internal drives if you want to open your case and fit one, but that external one you just plug into your usb port to use.

when you get it copy all your music/videos to your hard drive that way if you do ever have problems again with a cd/dvd drive at least you'll be still able to listen/watch your stuff. ;)

:b33r:

• 3 weeks later...

You're so funny, Terry. But yet spot on as ever. I don't order stuff from the Net, so I went to my closest big-box PC retailer. They had nothing there to help me, but I did learn the one screw to remove and open up the box. Took the drive out, opened it up and cleaned it. Nothing.

And then I remembered the Yellow Pages. Turns out there's a PC repair guy with a shop that I drive by every night on the way home from work and never noticed there. Got me an HP drive (perfect for my Compaq box) that reads and writes DVDs for $30. Put it in, reinstalled 12.2, and dl/ed and burnt the full 13.1 install disc. Perfect install, full updates, now it's vid time again. Wrong. Even worse. The solution: Google Chrome. The pic quality is not as sharp as I was accustomed to, but I have my tunes again. Cool.

P.S. My other problem about trying to find upgrades for my mom from XP? Dude said he could get me Win7 for $200 if her PC will run it. So next time I get over there I'll check the machine specs out. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone here.

Thanks all.

$200 for win 7 sounds steep, i'm sure you could get it much cheaper.

glad the new drive solved your problems, now if i were you i'd copy your "tunes" to the hard drive, easier to play anytime you like then.

Perfect install, full updates, now it's vid time again. Wrong. Even worse. The solution: Google Chrome. The pic quality is not as sharp as I was accustomed to, but I have my tunes again. Cool.

curious but did you add the libdvd repo and install libdvdcss,, that's usually the problem when videos won't play. i use vlc or kaffiene for playing dvd's usually but mythtv can also play them if i want.

to be honest don't use chrome so no idea how or what plugins it has built in/uses to play your videos if the normal players wont' play them.