Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badbinary

New HTPC - OpenELEC

I'm going to be building a new HTPC very soon and am deciding what route to go. I've pretty much settled on XBMC as my solution, but haven't decided on the OS yet. Do any of you have experience using OpenELEC? What else would you suggest?

never even heard of it. :rofl3:

to be honest bb, if i were you i'd just stick to something your used to like windows 7/8 from my understanding xbmc works great on windows and if you do run into any problems then your using an os you already know your way around to try and solve them.

if you do decide to go with openelec please do let us know what it's like, any good/bad points etc.

can't see me ever using anything but mythtv and suse but it's always nice to learn about the other options and what peoples experiences are with them. :tup:

:b33r:

I'm running XMBC on my RaspPi; runs fine.

Openlec was something i considered, Instead i decided using a giada powerhouse with xbmc, freakn awesome setup.

Grabbed a nice debian release and slapped in xbmc, And she rocks, None of that freezing crap, it's networked out, DLNA, the works.......

The best part, all systems in home "Are Storage" :P

I use this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspbmc

There is an openelec version but I havn't tried it. I do have a spare 8gb SD card so might just stick it on and give it a try. The PI does struggle a bit with 1080p but only if there is a lot going on image wise. You just get a bit of stutttering.

I use it to stream music more than anything though.