Guess I give up

JustinP526

So when a piece of hardware is listed as "support for Linux" that apparently means all hardware works as long as you know how to make it work by custom making a software out of source code.... which I do not know how to do and these instructions are worthless since I have no clue if I simply type what it shows exactly or need to type something else.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/jp52681/asusn13linux_zps56a3a395.jpg

Loaded up a live version of Gentoo (from Ultimate Boot CD) as well as installed OpenSuSE to another HDD and can't get it to work. Type 'lsusb' in terminal and it shows only Asustek Products Inc. as the wifi adapter. No mention of chipset or anything.

Doesn't USB mouse work in Linux from the start? I no longer have any P/S2 keyboards or mice and it had the USB keyboard working just fine, but the mouse did nothing even though I could pick it up and see the red LED is indeed lit. Neither left or right clicker would do anything and moving the mouse did NOT move the cursor on the screen. They work just fine in Windows XP though.. Logitech MK120

yes usb mice work just fine unless there is a problem with it usually.

yes support for linux means it works but sometimes you will need to install the drivers yourself, other times they will already be in the kernel.

those instructions seem fine to me.

but not sure if they are the correct ones seeing how it says they only work for kernels 2.6.18 to 2.6.38 and i'd think most distros are well past that, my kernel for example is 3.7.10 where'd you get them from?

to find your kernel

uname -r

to install drivers it's usually just a simple case of unpacking them, navigate to where they are then running these 3 commands.

make
make install
reboot

i recommend using network manager to manage wireless devices in suse so you'd go into yast , network devices, network settings, and check under global options that the user controlled with networkmanager was chosen.

what exactly does it say with lsusb?

mine

mainpc:/home/ted # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 0846:9001 NetGear, Inc. WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9170+AR9101]

is this your device? http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN13/#support

if so it's a rt3070 according to the driver i just downloaded for it from there.

:b33r:

That looks just like it.. specifications on the site says compatible with "new" Win7 and Mac 10.6 so maybe a little outdated there. Mine shows on the cardboard box that it's compatible with Win8, manufacture date is 2013 and Hardware version B1.

What's shown in the screenshot I posted is from the CD-ROM that was included with the device. The driver on the CD for Linux is named rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20120806.tar

Didn't really try much on account of it wouldn't let me use the mouse. Maybe just the old junk motherboard doesn't support USB mouse? I can see in BIOS there an option for USB keyboard support, but it does not specify for mouse.

I'll try again though, at the least I can get the exact readouts of lusub and uname -r to post here.

No idea what the deal is with the mouse, but it worked just fine this time.

Pretty sure I caught it show Gentoo i686 while loading up the live version from Ultimate Boot CD.. this is what I get (no idea how to do screenshots or where to find them either)

root@sysresccd /root % uname -r
2.6.32.15-std157-i386
root@sysresccd /root % lsusb
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

I'll try booting to the OpenSuSE install I have on the other drive and see what comes up there. It's either 11.4 or 12.2 since those are the last ones I had burned to DVD-R/W. Going to most likely download and burn the latest version but 64 bit to use on quad core machine that's able to run 64 bit OS.