Change Mode

not really a problem..more of an observation

i bought an asus VG248 144hz monitor a while back but ended up giving it to my son(long story), anyways i bought the same monitor for myself last week and come to find out after hooking it up my vid card and cpu temps have risen. prior to the asus monitor my temps were: cpu idle 27c,vid card idle 29c. with asus monitor temps are: cpu idle 32c,vid card idle 34c. i switched out my old monitor for the asus and temps dropped back to normal. hmmm! no big deal though,maybe the newer monitor needs more power thus the increase in temps. any thoughts on this?

wouldn't say it needs more power, but because the refresh rate is higher, the gpu needs to work faster/harder to refresh the display (144hz compared to the what? an old speed of 60hz/100hz) which will increase it's temp and thus increase the case and cpu's temp as well.

in case you never knew the hz number is how many times a second the gpu has to send a picture to the monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

edit:- memory playing me up and confusing me again, that was incorrect, a monitors hz has nothing at all to do with the video signal it receives so wouldn't effect the workload of the gpu and the probable cause would be the next sentence from original post. :blush:

if the resolution is higher that would also mean there's more to draw so again giving a slight bump in work load/temp.

all totally normal and nothing to worry about.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

wouldn't say it needs more power, but because the refresh rate is higher, the gpu needs to work faster/harder to refresh the display (144hz compared to the what? an old speed of 60hz/100hz) which will increase it's temp and thus increase the case and cpu's temp as well.

in case you never knew the hz number is how many times a second the gpu has to send a picture to the monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

edit:- memory playing me up and confusing me again, that was incorrect, a monitors hz has nothing at all to do with the video signal it receives so wouldn't effect the workload of the gpu and the probable cause would be the next sentence from original post. :blush:

if the resolution is higher that would also mean there's more to draw so again giving a slight bump in work load/temp.

all totally normal and nothing to worry about.

:b33r:

:tup:

• 3 weeks later...

It does kinda relate, the refresh rate and what is coming in, in terms of fps and screen tearing. But that gets handled by using Vsync or just ignoring screen tear.

Interesting to see that a higher refresh rate effects temps though. Never bothered to check that before, lol

It does kinda relate, the refresh rate and what is coming in, in terms of fps and screen tearing. But that gets handled by using Vsync or just ignoring screen tear.

Interesting to see that a higher refresh rate effects temps though. Never bothered to check that before, lol

i was surprised at the temp increase too,guess we learn something new everyday.