Sign in to follow this  
Guns

caintry boy

Sorry to hear about your Uncle.

It's a good thing that you were able to get back to the hospital when you did, sounds like it was a really close call.

Slow and easy and anything and everything in moderation for a good long while, til you get your strength back and you don't have to fight with fluid around your lungs.

You sure have been through it these past couple of months.

We're glad to see you back and hopefully you'll stay put for awhile this time.

............ much thanks to Guns for keeping us all as updated as he could. Quite a friend you've got there.

:) Y

Sorry to hear about your Uncle.

It's a good thing that you were able to get back to the hospital when you did, sounds like it was a really close call.

Slow and easy and anything and everything in moderation for a good long while, til you get your strength back and you don't have to fight with fluid around your lungs.

You sure have been through it these past couple of months.

We're glad to see you back and hopefully you'll stay put for awhile this time.

............ much thanks to Guns for keeping us all as updated as he could. Quite a friend you've got there.

Yup, they almost lost me. Twice.

My Brother Guns is the "bestest and dearest" friend a guy could have.

:geezer:

Scale of 1 to 10, what kind of pain did you have to endure?

Did they keep you awake when they did the defib/pacemaker operation?

I was awake for my stent, although I was high as a kite on morphine, and thought it was all just entertaining to see it all on the monitors up over my bed, at the time.

You too?

Scale of 1 to 10, what kind of pain did you have to endure?

Did they keep you awake when they did the defib/pacemaker operation?

I was awake for my stent, although I was high as a kite on morphine, and thought it was all just entertaining to see it all on the monitors up over my bed, at the time.

You too?

Scale of 1-10?? Well lets see, I literally sat on my couch and told my family "Goodbye" that rates a 10 for me. No physical pain tho'...

No, they put me out for the surgery for the defib/pacemaker. Now after my life-flight I lost an entire day from being sedated, I remember nothing till the 2nd day. Had some old friends from the '70's and '80's come look me up today and we had a nice visit, it was great to see them.

wish I had words of comfort to heal your pain from the surgeries and your loss.

Please do know I care, we here care, and will do all we can.

Yup, they almost lost me. Twice.

My Brother Guns is the "bestest and dearest" friend a guy could have.

Roger you are top shelf as my friend and respect you even more as a person.

O M G .... You better be good and listen to those docs and get better and better!!

Shocked to hear this about you!! Read thru and I cannot say anything better than what all has been said ... so just...

GET BETTER !!!

Well, another exciting night in the life of cb...sitting here watching TV with the wife and gkids and woke up in the ambulance about 20 mi. from home. "What's going on?" "Your blood sugar bottomed out." Bottomed is right, they told me it was clear down to 37 when the ambulance folks first checked it. A little time in the ER with some graham crackers and peanut butter and juice and they sent me home. I DID manage to scare the bejeebers out of my wife and kids again tho'...this is getting to be NOT fun. As far as my heart goes, I had an appt. on the 19th with my Cardiologist and they told me I've got 25-30% damage to my heart which is why they put this combo ICD in me. I've been walking everyday that it's not raining and my strength and breathing are much better. I supervised a couple days ago while the kids worked in the garden and planted some cabbage and onions, then transplanted some volunteer pumpkins that had come up. Rain this morning but hoping it dries up this p.m., cause I want to get outside!

Love to my PIT Family!

The good news is... low blood sugars is infinitely better than high blood sugars. Having dealt with both in a diabetic wife for nearly 30 years, I understand full well that some day DKA will kill her. It depends a bit on the person, but most people will behave "strangely" below about 80 and can lose consciousness at any point below that. At that point adrenalin kicks in which converts to sugar very rapidly and will sustain the "patient" at around 40 for a considerable period of time - perhaps even a day on a relatively health individual (not that you qualify!). The longer you stay at the low sugars, the more likely for memory loss. Restoring "normal" sugar levels is kind of like rebooting. I wouldn't be surprised if you are pretty physically wiped out for a couple days now as every cell in your body was trying to work with limited energy - but they didn't shut down.

High sugars will cause increased stress on your heart and can lead to a stroke (as well as a few other fun things like arterial sclerosis) as your body has no way to combat them - or they wouldn't have gotten high in the first place. Once in DKA... things just start shutting down.

Last thing I remember is sitting in front of the TV with family and all was well, then I woke up in the ambulance...

I've had several low blood sugars over the years and know what's going on, but this one sneaked up on me, I wonder if it has to do with my recent weight loss of about 15 lb.?.?...

Just a note to say that I'm hanging tough and walking more everyday..."knock on wood" Physical therapy has turned me loose because I'm doing so well. I hope and pray that my luck holds and I continue to get stronger, missed hunting mushrooms this year as I've been sitting in the car while the wife hunts 'em. :(

My defibrillator has NOT knocked me down and fingers crossed that it won't. Been out supervising planting of tomatoes by grandson Kenny along with some hot peppers and bell peppers today, garden is looking good, cabbage is looking strong and onions are about to become edible...YUM, green onions fresh from the garden! Wishing I had lettuce and spinach planted but I guess that'll be next year...

CB is back in the hospital again yesterday with fluid on his lungs. When his wife called me early yesterday they did not think he would make it.They had him on 100% oxygen now down to 50% doctors seem to be optimistic at this time.