Sign in to follow this  
badbinary

frequent game crashes

So far this has occurred with Farcry 3, Sim City 5, Civ 5, and Dragon Age: Origins.

The game will crash at a seemingly random time with a windows event id 1000. I have updated drivers, checked for malware, etc. but it still happens.

Windows 8

From the event logs:

Faulting application name: SimCity.exe, version: 8.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52a68623

Faulting module name: SimCity.exe, version: 8.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52a68623
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00368389
Faulting process id: 0x17ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf10b6119af33f
Faulting application path: C:Program Files (x86)Origin GamesSimCitySimCitySimCity.exe
Faulting module path: C:Program Files (x86)Origin GamesSimCitySimCitySimCity.exe
Report Id: 51d1f096-7caa-11e3-beca-f46d04d2e71f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: DAOrigins.exe, version: 1.5.13263.0, time stamp: 0x4eb19d53

Faulting module name: DAOrigins.exe, version: 1.5.13263.0, time stamp: 0x4eb19d53
Fault offset: 0x004697be
Faulting process id: 0x11c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf120391afc5d6
Faulting application path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonDragon Age Ultimate Editionbin_shipDAOrigins.exe
Faulting module path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonDragon Age Ultimate Editionbin_shipDAOrigins.exe
Report Id: 483caa57-7dfb-11e3-becc-f46d04d2e71f

Faulting application name: farcry3_d3d11.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x51226a2f

Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16699, time stamp: 0x5216accb
Fault offset: 0x000b8de5
Faulting process id: 0x634
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf10d97c3a198d
Faulting application path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonFar Cry 3binfarcry3_d3d11.exe
Faulting module path: C:WindowsSYSTEM32d3d11.dll
Report Id: 767978aa-7cd5-11e3-beca-f46d04d2e71f

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.3.144, time stamp: 0x525863c1

Faulting module name: lua51_Win32.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x514886f2
Fault offset: 0x00003b05
Faulting process id: 0x6b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee8b15f4f255e
Faulting application path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier's Civilization VCivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier's Civilization Vlua51_Win32.dll
Report Id: b8b99126-58db-11e3-beba-f46d04d2e71f
Edited by badbinary

might be file corruption so run the usually file checks, hard drive checks and memory checks.

for a quick test try creating a new user account and see if the games crash using that.

:b33r:

What video card are you using?

radeon 6870 video

phenom 2 1100t cpu

16 gb memory

ran memory test, passed

hdd check passed

i'll try another user acct

also note, that running that hard drive test in DOS can make a difference from running it in windows

How hot is you GPU running?

Edited by Joe C

it's the sfc scannow check i'd run to make sure no windows files are corrupted.

Edited by terry1966

all temps have been fine. gpu running 65-75 under load. cpu around 45-50.

i just had the issue happen to me with another game that i have installed on a different hard drive. the c: is my ssd so most of my games are on there but i have some less demanding ones on my 1tb drive. doesn't appear to be a drive issue.

i've been playing DA:O under my test account and so far so good, but it's hard to tell given that the crashes are random. if i can get it to crash under this account that rules out all sorts of things. i'll keep testing.

Posted Image

geez...your TMPIN2 is running at 128c? Is that your north bridge chip? You can cook a 5 lbs.roast with that

Seems like the game files are not in the location that the o.s. is looking for.

I think that you stated at one time you did not have everything on the ssd drive (_C_) ? They were located on a larger platter drive (D or something)

I would uninstall the games that can't start and reinstall and see what that does for you

Edited by Joe C

i ran dism and there was some corruption, indeed. let's see if that resolves it.

i ran dism and there was some corruption, indeed. let's see if that resolves it.

can't say i'd ever heard of dism, just thought scannow fixed everything.

fingers crossed i don't think you'll have any more problems now unless things get corrupted again.

looking good so far. played DA:O for about four hours last night without issue. thanks for your suggestions.

the sfc /scannow suggestion is what lead me to run a dism check. it found three corrupt files although i didn't look at the log to see which ones were affected. i also took a closer look at my application log and found that it wasn't just a few of my games crashing, it was pretty much everything including explorer. it's a wonder i didn't notice it sooner...guess i really don't care until i invest time into a game and lose all my progress due to a crash. :mrgreen:

next up: tricking 8.1 into installing onto my rig. i found a way to bypass the requirement that user folders be on the system drive to install it.

Edited by badbinary

Thanks for giving us the heads up on dism

tricking 8.1 into installing onto my rig. i found a way to bypass the requirement that user folders be on the system drive to install it.

I've given up on windows 8|8.1, Waiting to see what M$ does with 9

I've been recommending Shell, Start is Back or EX7forW8 for those that get frustrated with Windows 8|8.1, so far it's been making folks happy

i used shell for a while but switched to start8 and i really like it.

to be honest i really like windows 8. if i could just completely remove metro i would be quite happy with this os but microsoft put all its eggs in the metro basket and had to ruin a good thing.

EX7forW8 completely takes the whole metro thing out, but you need a Windows 7 disk to install it. It basically puts the Windows 7 gui on Windows 8

Ex7forW8 is a wrapper for the Windows 7 explorer, which means the Metro start screen is completely abolished and not even loaded which means absolutely no RAM or cycles are wasted.

http://microsoft-news.com/ex7forw8-windows-7-explorer-for-windows-8-hack/

Get it here

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

just happened again :hammer:

Faulting application name: DAOrigins.exe, version: 1.5.13263.0, time stamp: 0x4eb19d53
Faulting module name: DAOrigins.exe, version: 1.5.13263.0, time stamp: 0x4eb19d53
Fault offset: 0x004697be
Faulting process id: 0x4a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf12d557af9f10
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dragon Age Ultimate Edition\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dragon Age Ultimate Edition\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe
Report Id: cab4fbbb-7ed4-11e3-becd-f46d04d2e71f

uninstalled DA:O from c: and redownloading it to d:. let's see what happens.

i was mistaken with that other game i had installed on d: that crashed...it was installed on c: afterall.

i hadn't run trim on my ssd, well, since i got it...

Edited by badbinary