Sign in to follow this  
caintry_boy

PC shuts down when I turn off TV

I've got a PC that is connected to my TV via this cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200419

I run [email protected] on it 24/7 and use it to watch TV streamed from the internet. Lately when I turn off the TV the computer shuts down also. I've checked the power options in Control Panel and they all look good. I can't just leave the TV on 24/7 too.

System specs:

Asus Crosshair V Formula mobo

AMD 965BE CPU

8 Gb G.Skill DDR3-1866 RAM

ATI 3870x2 for video

GTX 460 for [email protected]

all on air

Windodws 7 Ultimate x64

Wassup?? Ideas and suggestions please... :pullhair:

:geezer:

first thing to ask is what did you change for this to start happening?

at a guess i'd say it's a nvidia driver problem, try updating to latest or going back to older one.

:b33r:

to be honest i don't see how the tv has any effect on the pc, so i'd be more inclined to think either there is a hardware problem causing the pc to turn off or it has a software conflict somewhere causing the shutdown.

are both your displays connected to the ati card and the nvidia card is not connected to anything?

should have mentioned try updating/rollback the ati driver as well in the first post, must admit i didn't notice you had two different cards in the machine when i made my first post.

Edited by terry1966

3870! wow :P

i don't have much to help with but i'm having a similar problem that happens sometimes, not always. i have a sony wireless headset and when i put it in the charging dock it shuts down my computer...i can't explain it whatsoever. the only connection to the computer is using a simple 3.5mm jack.

hope you figure it out. it may just be a short in the cable.

Edited by badbinary

From what I've seen, running an ATI card with the Nvidia card is possible but it will make for a potentially buggy system, open cl conflicts with the gl and any time a graphics driver updates you might need to reconfigure the system again depending on which card is updating... major PIA and could possibly be a crash instead of a shutdown as you are thinking

This is all I see in Event Viewer that looks bad:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/11/2014 10:54:45 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Thunderbolt
Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

For what it's worth, I updated the drivers on both cards and no help. So, I removed the Nvidia card and uninstalled the drivers, shutdown still occurs. Cable is good. Guess I could try rolling back the ATI drivers and see what happens.

im not savy when it comes to home electronics at all,still trying to get my sons PS3 to play through his surround sound set-up. maybe try another cable(like the one you linked), im with BB thinking its a short in the cable.

uninstall all the ATI drivers and software too....it could still be corrupted. Do a clean install of the ATI drivers and software

Edited by Joe C

Just for kicks, see if it does the same using a monitor instead of the tv. Turn off the monitor and see what happens. I'm like the others. Never ran into a problem like that before.

Uninstalled the ATI card in Device Manager and uninstalled the 13.12 catalyst drivers via Control Panel and rebooted. Installed the 13.9 catalyst drivers on startup, no help, shutdown still occurs. Been thinking that the cable could be bad after all, we had a "brown out" on Christmas day and I'm wondering if something happened to the cable although my surge protectors saved the TV and PC...

dickster, I'll try it and see what happens...

Try what dickster suggested, it's a good idea...

What happens if your in safe mode?

O.K., I unhooked my cable and attached a monitor and no help. I've noticed that unless I turn on the TV first that the PC won't even turn on, that was the situation with the monitor attached, the PC wouldn't turn on at all, even with the monitor turned on...now I'm really baffled. Joe C, I'll try safe mode...

edit: tried Safe Mode, no help. Updated BIOS to the latest 1703.rom, no help.

I keep thinking back to the "brown out" on Christmas day...and thinking about the cable and the mobo...

:pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

think it's the power supply at first guess so try a different one then i'd think it may be the ati card gone bad and try the nvidia card and monitor and see if that makes any difference.

Edited by terry1966

Yep, try each video card alone to eliminate those as the problem. You didn't change any kind of system settings before this happened? How was the monitor hooked up? Same cable or did you use a different (DVI, VGA) cable?

Yep, try each video card alone to eliminate those as the problem. You didn't change any kind of system settings before this happened? How was the monitor hooked up? Same cable or did you use a different (DVI, VGA) cable?

That's just it dickster, I didn't change anything, it just started. I hooked the monitor directly to the ATI card via DVI port. Monitor seems to work fine but the PC would not turn on with it connected. Maybe I need to double check that monitor?? Why would the PC work when connected to the TV but not the monitor??

:pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

Not sure, but it seems to have effected the size of your fonts also. :mrgreen:

I would check the monitor and try each video card by itself. Also, try both slots with each card. Don't think it's the cable since the tv does work. It really sounds like a setting issue, either in windows or bios. You say it's been working and you didn't change anything. Possible the bios went to default on the brownout? Grasping at straws here.

Nothing wrong with my fonts dickster, except that if I don't enlarge them I can barely see what I'm typing, yes, I need new glasses.

I find nothing wrong with my TV or PC except that the TV will turn on when I push the Power button for it and the PC will not come on without the TV being turned on.

I thought last week that a Windows Update had "cured" the problem because after I updated Windows and did the mandatory reboot I browsed the web awhile and then turned off the TV. Magically the PC did NOT shut down. I couldn't believe it so I tried 3 more times. Each time the TV would turn off and the PC kept right on purring. WOOHOO! I thought...but alas, not so lucky, the next time that I went to shsut off the TV we were back to square one as when I turned off the TV the PC shut down also.

PSU is a Silverstone 1200W Strider Gold and I'm sure it's good. The only thing I haven't tried is a different surge protector.

Other ideas or input??

surge protector could be the ticket,i think it is with my garage computer. here's why: i have a space heater in the garage and when i turn it off to go back inside i hear my keyboard disconnect then reconnect like i unplugged it then plugged it back in. you may be like me and have the protector fully loaded with cords.

surge protector could be the ticket,i think it is with my garage computer. here's why: i have a space heater in the garage and when i turn it off to go back inside i hear my keyboard disconnect then reconnect like i unplugged it then plugged it back in. you may be like me and have the protector fully loaded with cords.

As a matter of fact, I DO have them both plugged into the same surge protector and it's full up with cords. TV, PC, external drive bays, telephone base, etc...

Thanks man, I'll check it out!!

Problem solved! I had bought one of these surge protectors after the last brown out > http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SPP4061I_17/smart-surge-protection-6-outlets-6ft

I had the TV plugged into the "Master" plug and the PC plugged into one of the "Secondary" plugs...when you turn off the Master, you turn off EVERYTHING!! Left the TV plugged into that one and plugged the PC into another surge protector and Voila! problem solved!! Who'dathunkit??

must admit i've learned something new, never seen a surge protector like that with a master socket, good idea i think if it's used just for tv and it's equipment like video/dvd player and games consoles.