Pulling/extracting a driver

Tx Redneck

A friend of mine has an issue with the driver for the nic in his lappy and I'm trying to see if there's a workaround to address it.

In Ubuntu 10.xx, the nic works upon install, but if he updates to the newest lts, it stops working and he's unable to get on the net to see if the new repo has the driver.

Is it possible to pull the driver from 10.xx and save it externally, update, then reinstall said driver on the updated os?

If that's not possible, how does he go about compiling the driver for the nic?

Sorry about the late reply to this. Thanks TX been so busy didnt have time to look into this deeply.

Ok here is my issue. My laptop has hardware that is newer then the linix verision that I want to run. The driver was not released yet for the nic card until a later version. I have a DL link for the driver that needs to be compiled and installed that realtech released before the officail release. My issue is that I need to update some headers to compile the driver but without an internet connection I cant update the headers. How would I go about getting a compiled driver that will install?

First I would have to ask. Why run such an old distro?

The answer to your question would be download the files you need on another computer, transfer them using thumb drive, or via CD.

I can't imagine the ethernet card not working. Perhaps the wireless may need a driver but the ethernet should work. So you may be able to plug into a router.

The reason for the older distro is due troubleshooting an over heating issue that I have with the current distro. It only happened after the last few updates but not sure exactly when. SO want to go back to one that I knew worked fine on my older laptop.

Ok my issue there is that I dont have another linux box to compile the needed driver before I copy it to my laptop. I have yet to find a pre-compiled driver that I can just install into it.

I tried the ethernet cord connection and got nothing.

As I am still kinda new to linux as my main distro I was not sure if said driver can even be compiled on a seprate machine and then installed on to mine.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff1e
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at b8500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at 3000
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: alx

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723AE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0724
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 2000
Memory at b8400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: rtl8723ae

These are running from a working linux distro.

Edited by David Batty

It's working now?

Ok let me be plain about the issue at hand. While compiling an Android build on Ubuntu 13.10 my system overheats and shuts down. It started happening somewhere between 13.04 and 13.10. So I wanted to go back to an older version and slowly update until I find the cause. The problem is that anything before 13.04 doesn't have the drivers for nic or wireless.

As I said earlier. Download the needed headers and files on a working computer. Transfer them to the computer that needs them via thumb drive or CD. Install them on the computer that needs them. Once you have the headers transfered and installed, then you can transfer the driver file and compile it.

Jupiter is No More, TLP Looks Like a Good Alternative

• Jupiter used to be an easy to use hardware and power management applet for laptops and netbooks running Linux.
  • I have had overheating problems in Ubuntu on several occasions. Jupiter came to the rescue every single time. Unfortunately for all of us though, Jupiter project has now been discontinued and there will be no official release for "Raring Ringtail".
  • In a spectacular coincidence of sorts, the overheating bug is back too. My Dell laptop now constantly runs on temperatures well above 50 degrees Celsius. TLP looks like a good alternative. Here's how you install TLP in Ubuntu 13.04.
Just restart the system and you're done. There are no specific settings you need to do to make TLP work. Just install and forget.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2013/06/30-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu1304-raring.html