Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badbinary

advice please

i went to play metro: last light on my computer and it had very noticable fps issues at medium settings so i would like to upgrade my system. thing is when i went to look at components, there really isn't much that is a decent upgrade without spending quite a bit of money. i am not opposed to an intel build, but i have budget constrains. i do have an extra radeon 6870 lying around that i could toss in for crossfire, but i stopped doing that due to driver issues with crossfire.

here's what i currently have:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25401705&report=Summary

asus M4A89TD PRO USB3

amd phenom X6 1100T

amd radeon 6870

16GB memory

160GB SSD

1TB HDD

nothing wrong with your system that i think would stop it being able to play games on high settings with.

multi-core cpu over 3ghz, fast ssd, plenty of memory, so my advice would be to put every penny in just upgrading your graphics card.

something like this :- http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+780&id=2525#price

or this :- http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+R9+290X&id=2697#price

if you really want to do a full system upgrade and can afford it then i'd always recommend going i7.

:b33r:

another slight upgrade would probably be the cpu but honestly not sure if it would make that much of a noticeable difference after a gpu upgrade anyway.

after that you've got more or less the top amd system anyway so only step up in performance is going to be go intel and i7 and to be honest i don't think it would be worth the cost just yet, maybe next year or year after if you want to stay with a top end system..

do a tick tock with upgrading, one year spend the money on gpu next year upgrade cpu and motherboard (if needed.) etc using last years gpu then following year upgrade gpu again.

thanks for taking a look guys. i think i'm just going to toss my other 6870 back in for crossfire for now and just wait until the new chips come out next year. it's interesting that my 2.5 year old system is still near the top. for a while i was getting used to getting a big performance boost every year or so.

the way video card prices went up i dont blame you for waiting,my 280x was 319 now its up to 399+,must be all them bitcoin miners :rofl3:

i think pc's are so fast now that unless your going to really step up your display demands by running say 3 monitors/4k gaming then even an older system like my i7 920 (built in 2008) if paired with a good gpu are more than capable of playing any game at decent frame rates with most if not all settings at high or close to it.

i found the issue with metro last light...advanced physics is enabled by default which is only for nvidia cards.