Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Argent

Exterminate will not start

I have been trying to get exterminate to run because I have removed 90+ viruses etc using Anti-Malware and Avira. My computer is still not running right. One of the issues is that the dllhost.exe is using 40-50% of the computers resources.

SInce I love your work here at PCPitstop, I tried to get Exterminate to work and it will load but when I click the definitions button, (update or not does not matter) I get an error called: The pitframe module has stopped working and it closes everything out.

I managed to reinstall it and it still does the same thing.

Not that it has any relation to the issue that you are reporting, but It appears that your Exterminate license may be expired.

First, make sure that another security product is not preventing Exterminate from opening. Also, I would recommend trying to run Exterminate from Safe Mode with Networking. You also may need to uninstall Exterminate, then manually delete the definitions folder left behind at C:Program FilesPC PitstopExterminate, then reinstall with a new copy.

If that does not resolve the issue, please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get some more information. You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

You were right about the license. I went ahead and renewed that. Went into the Safe Mode with networking and the networking part did not seem to make it. I was not able to open any webpages including the Exterminate page(s). I will play with it a bit more after work tonight.

If the computer connects to the Internet using a wireless connection, it may be necessary to connect using an Ethernet cable in order to have Internet access from Safe Mode with Networking.

I got the networking thing working but it still does not work.

The program still did not run, but the window does not come up saying that the pitframe module quit working.

I am also working with another of your techs about the virus/spyware etc stuff. The issues might be related, but I was really hoping that Exterminate would be able to fix the original problem, or at least remove more of the stuff. I will try to manually delete the definitions folder and see if that helps out

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes with uninstalling/reinstalling with new definitions.

No dice. Deleted the folder, ran the program and got the same pitframe module error thing it was doing before. This was in "regular" mode though, not the safe mode with networking.

Got everything to work. Deleted the definitions, deleted the two .dll's for it. Reran the install to make it update and was able to d/l the full definitions and run a quick scan. With 0 hits.

So, since the plan was to get exterminate to fix my laptop and Juliet managed to fix it with her superhero like technician powers just give her the $30 I spent from the program. :)

Thanks for the help!

Glad to her Juliet got everything cleaned up for you. she's a real asset here at PC Pitstop. :tup: