Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

Internet Explorer Not working Correctly

Ok......I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get this solved. It's got to be something simple.....After weeks of looking and "building" the wife had me order my Christmas present from a well known brand website. I've spent the weekend getting everything setup the way I like it but I have just now noticed a problem with Internet Explorer 10.0.9200. I'll try to explain....

Open up and click a search for lets say "truck"...in the results...upper left area where it says web, images, map, shopping, news, more, and search tools.....if I click on "images" I get a huge bunch of pictures of trucks. That's great! Now for the problem....if I click on a truck image nothing happens....if I double click on it..nothing happens. Now normally if you click on the picture it will expand to a larger image to look at. That is what I'm not getting. All my other computers in the house will expand the image ...even my two computers at work. This is a new Windows 7 Home Premium computer. I have several XP machines, as well as several Windows 7 machines and a Windows Vista machine and they all display as they should. Some have IE 8, some IE 10 ...I even downloaded IE 11 to try but it did the same thing....wouldn't display correctly. What am I missing? I've went through IE settings and matched to the other computers but it still won't work. All Active X settings match...Flash player is installed. Do I need to install Java application to get this thing going? What do you think guys and gals....something simple?

Looks like my fingers has put an extra character in the heading...sorry...my bad.

(Corrected the title)

Have you tried a different browser for comparison?

I would update Java; but I'm not sure it's relevant.

Check your pop up blocker is not stopping them opening...or any Ad-block add-ons.

sounds like a "no script" add on or javascript (not to be confused with java, no need for java.) turned off issue in ie to me.

:b33r:

Well everything checks out like it should. I took the time to write down all the settings in internet options from my wife's Windows 7 machine and compaired them to my Windows 7 computer and they match to a tee. I turned off all popup blockers ...even though hers are turned on. I've tried with firewall off...don't make a difference. I don't know what else to try.

Peronally would download and install Firefox browser,make Google its home page and then try your search again,I think is good idea anyway apart from your IE problem to have TWO differnt browsers even just for comparison.......another you could try is go to the Microsft "FIXIT" site and using it to repair IE...(just Google Microsoft Fixit)

Fixit tool didn't work..I just thought of something I didn't mention in my original post. I used McAfee Removal Tool to remove their virus off my new computer. You think it removed something I needed. Maybe I should run scan for changed system files.

Have you tried a different browser? Just for comparison.

McAfee shouldn't affect anything but it is possible if their was an IE plugin a registry entry could have got damaged.

Maybe I should run scan for changed system files.

wouldn't harm. (assume you mean chkdsk to check hard drive.)

also install firefox and see if the problem is there with that, if it isn't then it's more likely to be an ie issue alone and not anything to do with the os.

so next i'd un-install ie10 and then download and re-install it to see if the problem as now gone.

:b33r:

As I suggested and others download an install Firefox and see if problem goes away,if so is an IE problem on just the one PC!!

Update: I Installed Firefox and it works great. I removed IE 10, downloaded it again and installed but it still didn't work. So...I decided to try something. I returned my system to the "out of the box" condition with the factory installed image. After going through the process of starting Windows for the first time..and before I did anything else ...I tried IE 10. It works great. No problems. Then I uninstalled McAfee and now the preview problem is back so ....I did it again ...a total of 3 times. Each time I uninstalled Mcafee..the problem was there. So I can confirm its McAfee breaking IE 10 when its removed. What it removes..I don't know but whatever it is IE 10 and IE 11 needs to function correctly. It must be something in Windows it removes because a fresh download of either browser don't work correctly after removing McAfee. I've posted to Microsoft Community forum but the only suggestion of reinstalling IE 10..don't work. I'm going to check out McAfee's forum and see if I can find anybody else with the same problem.

Well done on identifying the problem,so at least you can get to view what you want...now just to sort out McAfee...keep us updated.

Update 2: I have solved my problem. I returned my computer to "out of the box" condition again and this time instead of using the usual control panel uninstall followed by the McAfee Removal tool...I downloaded Revo uninstaller and ran it. Although Revo first uses the uninstaller for the program to be uninstalled....it worked. To my amazement...it is fixed! :clap: And the best thing about it....it was a free program! I will recommend Revo to anyone that needs to uninstall an unwanted program. Thanks everyone for your help...I greatly appreciate it.