You will get tired of seeing me.

dickster

But I'm back with another problem. I have a paid account with privateinternetaccess.com vpn service. Used it on windows and it works great. Wanting to set it up in Mint but not having any luck. Somehow it wants me to configure it, but I don't have a clue how. Anybody have a step-by-step that even I could follow. Tried their support chat, but they act like I should know everything. Got as far as getting it unzipped in /etc/openvpn folder. But don't know what commands to use to configure it. Any help is always appreciated.

Also, still haven't figured out how to network with my other pcs. Can see them, but can't get into them. Printer is networked and works. At least I figured that one out without asking for help.

Edited by dickster

I just checked my system and it is installed on openSUSE already, so there is nothing to download.

That said I have never used it. But very thorough documentation is here.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

I would check your package manager as it is likely available and requires more then just being unzipped in /etc.

Once installed then you can look into configuration.

I checked and it is installed. It's listed in the network manager. But in order to run, it must be configured. Somehow I need to get it to see and use the different servers. But understanding how to do this is the problem.

setting things up is usually just a case of running the program and following the instructions making changes where needed or just finding a file and editing it with the info it needs to work.

now never ever having set up or used vpn, i have absolutely no idea what that info is.

probably something as simple as the ip address/domain name to connect to, and allowing it through the fire wall.

as to your connection problems to other pc's are they running windows? if so then you probably need to install samba.

if they are all mint pc's i'd assume it is just a case of setting up a shared folder on each pc.

again no real experience with setting up networked pc's so they can share files, because i use a single ftp server where any other pc's can gain access to my files.

:b33r:

search youtube for vpn setup.

eg.

Edited by terry1966

Each pc running mint has a shared folder set up for anyone on the network to be able to access them. When I open the network (in files) I can see the other systems. Each pc's shared folder has a file or 2 in it for testing purposes. As I say, I can see the other pcs, but when I click on them, I get an error (connection timed out-can't access) and don't see the shared folder.

I'll do some more searching on setting up the vpn, but this command line stuff is all new to me and kinda hard to figure out.

Do these systems have firewalls?

Are the shares password protected?

Are they all Linux computers, windows computers, or a mix?

If Linux what kind of systems?

If Windows which version?

Are these samba shares, NFS, FTP?????????????????

from my understanding of the vpn, all you do is install the openvpn package using apt-get, which you've already done.

then goto your provider and find the correct ip address to use for different servers with that info just open the network manager and follow the steps in linked video and add the ip address in the correct place and enter your user name and password to log on and that's it.

of course connect to it instead of using any other connections then every time you open firefox or whatever browser and go onto the internet your always using the vpn connection.

i'd guess your vpn provider will have different server ip's for different parts of the world, so you probably will have to add and name each one so if you want to be seen as coming from the uk for instance then you'd use it's uk vpn ip address, maybe so you can watch our free uk tv.

like i said no experience with vpn's so don't know exactly how your vpn provider works for changing your world location or even if it does.

see if this helps you any better :-

direct from your provider :- https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ubuntu_openvpn_installer

• Open a Terminal, and run: sudo apt-get install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome. This will prompt for both your password, and a Y/n answer, please provide it with your password, and Y
  • Once installed, open System Settings, then Network
  • Press the + symbol to add a new connection, and select the VPN Interface, then press Create
  • Choose OpenVPN as your VPN Connection Type, and press Create
  • The following will walk you though all configuration steps needed for the PIA VPN.
    • Gateway: Select one of the Hostnames provided on the Network page
    • Authentication
      • Type: Password
      • Username: The username provided with the PIA account
      • Password: The password provided with the PIA account
      • CA Certificate: Downloaded this zip file and extract the ca.crt file to somewhere it won't be deleted. We suggest your Home folder. If you extract this to your home folder, when searching for it, please click on your username on the left side, which will take you right to the home folder, then select the ca.crt file from the options on the right.
    • Advanced: Under the general tab, check the Use LZO data compression
    • IPv4 Settings:
      • Method: Automatic (VPN) Addresses Only
  • Press Save. If you chose to have your password saved it may ask for you to verify your password to open your keyring.

seems easy enough, so hope it goes well for you.

Edited by terry1966

I've made some progress thanks to your post terry1966. I have it where when I turn on VPN it shows connected, but when I try to go to a page, firefox shows it trying to connect, but connection times out. Have tried six of their servers with the same results, which tells me it's a setting I'm missing. Was on Private Internet Access help chat line, but they say they can't help me since Mint is not supported. Have the problem posted in their help forums hoping someone there uses Mint and knows what the problem might be, but no responses so far.

Bruce, all 3 that I'm trying to network are Mint OS with no software firewall. Only firewall I use is the router NAT firewall. Shared folders are not password protected since I'm the only here who would even have a clue on how to access them. All shared folders are set to sambashare group in permissions.

exactly what method did you use, don't mean to be funny dickster but it would help us to help you, if you could start giving more details in your posts of exactly what you have done and how you did it.

what do you mean by turn on vpn? you mean there's a list now in your network manager of all the different vpn connections/host names and you just select one to connect it? does it then ask for your password?

did you manually add the servers and how did you do it or did you use their ubuntu openvpninstaller?

what protocol are you using? after i just downloading their ca.cert zip file and looked in one of the host settings files, i believe you should be using udp and not pptp like one of the videos shows.

did you add the ca certificate?

did you make the advanced setting changes? steps 3 +4 in last posts quote

you sure you entered the correct user name and password?

to be honest to me from what you've said it sounds like it is connecting to their server but it is refusing access for some reason.

so check you've entered in the correct user name and password, are using udp protocol, the ca.certificate and using lzo data compression.

Edited by terry1966

No smb.conf. No file sharing ;)

Just setting a group name doesn't create a share.

If you do not have a working /etc/samba/smb.conf you have been wasting your time.

I know things are different, but most everything in Linux can be changed in simple text files.

Bruce, thanks to your pm and help, 2 of 3 are talking to each other. Still have to figure why the 3rd doesn't see the other 2 since they see it, but so far things are looking much better. Haven't tried printing yet but it was working.

Thanks for the help.

Just make sure that the workgroup name is the same on all of them, and that the path for the share is correct for each one.

Make sure the firewall isn't blocking access to the third one.

Finally that one may have been trying to be the master browser. I would shut them all down. Start one of the machines that works, let it sit running for minutes by itself, not a few seconds but minutes, then the second, and finally the last one. The first will try to be the master browser, and will pick up on the others, it can take a bit of time for them all to become visible.

Finally I would take the one that is likely to be up and running the most and make that the master. You will find a line that says

os level = 64

Leave the one you want as master at the level, set a lower number for the others and then they will allow the first to be master and that one will keep track of all the others.

Edited by Bruce

Hey, I have come to like some of you people on here, but I can't relate to your problems about making a slew of computers get happy with each other. In fact, my box has lost its CD/DVD drive, and when I do run a simple zypper, it sounds like the drive will spin right out of the machine.

So I did get away from MS and followed you all to the penguin land of Linux, but if my box fails, I have to say adios.

Thanks to all of you, hope to get connected again somday.

Seems I can kinda get connected. I turn it on and go to their link and it shows that I'm gong through the VPN. But it won't let me connect to any outside link to test my connection, such as http://www.show-my-ip.de or others. So I don't really know if I'm anonymous or not. And most of the time I can't go to any site. Firefox shows that it is trying to connect, but then it times out. Tried this with a bunch of their servers with no joy. Private Internet Access refuses to help since Mint is not a supported OS. So if I want their help, I must wipe my drive and load a supported OS, like Windows that I'm trying to get away from. Or Ubuntu that won't install like the Mint 15 I was trying.

Here is a screenie showing where it says my ip is in Germany, but the network settings box saying "not connected" to the vpn. :huh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dickster/Screenshotfrom2013-12-06124427.png

So, to answer your question terry, not too well. :mrgreen:

Edited by dickster

well does seem to be connected what are firefoxes network connection settings?

maybe you need to set them to auto detect proxy or something. :shrug:

as for their help just tell them your using ubuntu they are both the same more or less so any command line instructions they give will work on both distros i'd guess.

Edited by terry1966

personally i think i'd delete all those connections then download the ca.cert and the country ovpn files from your supplier here :- https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

then follow this video using the files you've just downloaded

and run it in a terminal to make a connection,

that way you will see what if any errors there maybe.

if it doesn't work then it might give us some ideas of where it's failing.

Edited by terry1966