Mint 15 not installing

dickster

Used this same cd to install mint on my wife's pc yesterday. Went just fine and up running now. Want to install it on my machine, but it's not cooperating. It get to the first screen (Will boot in 7 seconds) and then goes to a grey screen with cursor flashing. Just like it did yesterday. But then the screen goes black, with the no signal box floating around. I let it sit for a few minutes like that. Watched the dvd drive activity light blink for a bit, and then it stops. Still let it sit for about 5 minutes like that, but nothing changed. Used this same machine to burn the dvd from an .iso, so it should work.Tried it in compatibility mode (think that's what it was called) and it flashed a bunch of stuff. Then it started showing the same thing over and over/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sda: No medium found. It changes from sda to sdb, c and d. Then back to sda and keeps repeating those lines.Any other option from the first boot menu gets the black screen/no signal thing.Just so you understand, yesterday was my first trip into the other world that is not windows, so any help should be explained like you are talking to a 1st grader or less. :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35505475

Since you mentioned Gigabyte boards... I recently installed Mint 15 onto a Gigabyte board and had to make a couple of BIOS changes for it to work:1) I turned off UEFI mode (I think the BIOS refers to this as "Legacy"). Otherwise I could run the Live CD just fine and even install without any problems, but once I rebooted, it wouldn't see the OS on the drive. No big deal.2) The big problem I had was getting it to talk on the network. The card was being listed correctly under LSPCI, and was showing all the symptoms of a driver issue (there's a LOT of threads on the web about Realtek r1869/r8111 driver issues). None of their solutions worked for me. To make a long story short, I had to toggle to default IOMMU setting in the BIOS for things to work. Once I did, it just worked. I didn't have to rebuild or blacklist any drivers, etc.My motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+

Same mobo, but different. I can't even boot to the live cd. After the screen that says it will boot in 7 seconds, it goes black, comes up grey with blinking curser, then goes black with the no signal box. Never gets to the three options where you can boot to the cd or install (forget what the 3rd option is). Thinking something might be wrong with the disk, I just burned a new one, but same result. Will go back into bios and see what I can find.

Looks like it might be the dvd drive. Hung for a while with disk in it. Wouldn't open. Played with the cable connections at the back and worked again. Ran the Mint cd in compatibility mode again. It ran through, but then said "no live file system found". Restarted and after post screen it started the reboot process again. After a couple times, I pulled the cd and it booted right to windows. It's set to boot from cd first, so I'm thinking the drive is going flaky. Sounds like a trip to frys in the morning.

Maybe it's not the dvd, drive as that reads other disks just fine. Got it to run the compatibility mode from a usb flash drive. Got to the screen where you can run the install, but it only wanted to install to the flash drive. This thing is p**sing me off!

But you are not installing XP. You are installing a different operating system. Some nvidia cards need some options passed to them during install. At least that has been my experience in the past. Not sure if the commands would apply to Mint or when you would possibly get the option to enter them.

That gave me some nice pretty blue screens. LOL Just went to the first screen then blue screened and restarted. Too fast to read it so not sure of the error. Tried an Ubantu disk with the same results. It's got to be something limiting what it will load. Called Gigabyte hoping for some help. They said "you are on your own unless it's windows" install. Great tech support! :IG:

Single drive with 4 partitions. C partition is 70gb, with the rest of 1tb spread over the other 3. Think I've played with everything I can think of in the bios. Starting to wonder if I could pull the drive and connect to another pc. Maybe I can install it from there.

Well, mint is installed and running. But not the way I wanted. Ended uo installing from within windows, and it's now a dual boot system. Don't really want XP but couldn't find another way. Has a few issues I'm trying to work out. Video resolution is limited to 4 choices. Have the 310.xx drivers installed, but at the moment I have to run at 1024x768. Everything is HUGE!

• 2 weeks later...

Mint 16 RC is now installed as the only OS. Still have a problem I need help with. I can still only run at 1152x864 as the highest resolution, and I think I know why, but not how to correct. Researching leads me to believe that nvidia-settings is not reading my EDID from my monitor. It is showing that I have a crt, when I'm really using an Acer p221w LCD 22" panel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dickster/Screenshotfrom2013-11-24173851.png

Tried an xorg.conf mod, but that left me at 640x480 with no option to change. :yikes: I had to delete that file to get back to where I am.

Any ideas? Thanks.