Sign in to follow this  
philroswit

hostageware

In reference to the article by Leo Notemboom on hostageware not affecdting remote hard drives---he said he hadn't heard of it happening?? I got hit by "Dirty Decrypt" that encrypted all the pictures on my computer hard drive. Unfortunatly, my remote drive was plugged in (which I unplug when not using it, but I forgot to unplug it the night before) and it encrypted all the pics in one folder on my remote drive and random pics in other folders. It demanded payment, but I knew that was uleless. I got the virus removed, but lost the pics. Fortunately, I have them all burned to disc.

Just for your info.

Thanks, Philip Witschi, philroswit

Edited by philroswit

:wp:

When CryptoLocker made its debut it was on networked business computers and had no trouble at all encrypting network drives and drives on remote computers that were connected to the network. My first encounter with it was from a business customer.

In reference to the article by Leo Notemboom on hostageware not affecdting remote hard drives---he said he hadn't heard of it happening?? I got hit by "Dirty Decrypt" that encrypted all the pictures on my computer hard drive. Unfortunatly, my remote drive was plugged in (which I unplug when not using it, but I forgot to unplug it the night before) and it encrypted all the pics in one folder on my remote drive and random pics in other folders. It demanded payment, but I knew that was uleless. I got the virus removed, but lost the pics. Fortunately, I have them all burned to disc.

Just for your info.

Thanks, Philip Witschi, philroswit

Good to always have a backup. And, good to know of your experience. I have an extended hard drive for all my back ups and would sure hate to see this happen. Should ask Notemboom to verify his information. Thanks.

Yes, I can verify that. We used CryptoLocker to network the office computers at the TV station where I worked. There was a scandal and with help from a detective we were able to locate some extremely "questionable content" (like potentially illegal) on 2 of the users's machines. I really had to get in there to ask questions, because the tech responsible for security on those sytems swore they would not be vulnerable. It was a close call, by any means. You just can't always trust the information, no matter what the source these days. It is critical to go in and check for yourself if you want to have any peace of mind.