Hi guys,

New to the forums.

I did a google search on some issues I've been having and found this thread;

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/200145-bad-image-error-messages/

I'm having the exact same issues as that poster had. I was wondering if I'm able to just follow those directions in the thread, or do I need specific help?

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for extra info. I get the following message when trying to scan my computer using Spotbot Search&Destroy;

"System Scan: SDScan.exe - Bad Image

C:Windowssystem32slc.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support"

When I startup my computer it can take up to 15-20 minutes before I can use it. Pulling my hair out. System restore didn't work either.

can you open msconfig and check whats loading at startup?

some antivirus applications are designed to update when the computer starts, doesn't mean thats what happening here just a quick suggestion.

Posted Image

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

[*]Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.

[*]Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

[*]The tool will open and start scanning your system.

[*]Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

[*]On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.

[*]Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Posted Image Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here. Never download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from other sources.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

[*]Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

[*]If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

[*]Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.

[*]The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.

[*]When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

[*]Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

[*]When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)

[*]The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

[*]Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Hi Juliet,

I did the msconfig thing this morning when I first discovered I had an issue. I disabled pretty much everything except the things I needed. Avast, etc.

I'm doing the Junkware removal now. I'll update once that has completed. I also ran MalwareBytes this morning, but I'll run it again.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the middle of doing the Junkware removal and it got up to the "Checking Shortcuts" line and the error box popped up again. This time;

"SHORTCUT.DAT - Bad Image

C:Windowssystem32slc.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support"

I'm not sure how to check the errors. I'm not very knowledgeable in this kind of thing unfortunately.

Edit: I'm clicking ok on the error box and now its just repeating the error box popup. Looks like it can't get past the "Checking Shortcuts" line.

Edited by Gotshadow

I've also just used the event viewer. I've looked under Custom Views > Administrative Events and I've got a heap of errors and warnings. All of them are "PrintService" "KernelEventTracing" and "DistributedCOM"

I'm now looking under Windows Logs > System and I've got a few errors in there too on todays date. "Service Control Manager" and "DistributedCOM".

Edited by Gotshadow

Have you tried running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt:

Type cmd in the start menu command prompt

Right click cmd and select ran as administrator.

Now type and press enter:

sfc /scannow

might not work and if it doesn't don't freak.

I did run it earlier after reading it in another thread. I don't remember the outcome but I shall run it again now.

Edit: I really don't understand what the problem is. It was working fine only 6 or so hours before it. But when I started it, it took a good 20 minutes to load Windows and then when it finally did load, it would take about the same time to open a folder. Chrome wouldn't load at all. After disabling some of the startup programs it was quicker to load, but i'm still getting these errors pop up when I use some programs..

Edited by Gotshadow

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

[*]Please go here to run the scan.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/run

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.

All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

[*]Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image

[*]When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.

[*]Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.

[*]Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:

[*]

[*]Scan for potentially unwanted applications

[*]Scan for potentially unsafe applications

[*]Enable Anti-Stealth Technology

[*]Now click on: Posted Image

[*]The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.

[*]When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.

[*]Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.

[*]When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!

[*]Now click on: Posted Image

[*]Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:Program FilesESETEsetOnlineScannerlog.txt.

[*]Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

I tried using Keperskys Online tool.

To be honest I've tried a heap of stuff for the last 12 hours or so, so its hard to remember what exactly I've tried.

One of the programs did come up with a possible Trojan, once I deleted the files I rescanned with 2 or 3 programs and nothing came up. Now I'm at this point.

got my fingers crossed.

one of the programs did come up with a possible Trojan, once I deleted the files

hope it wasn't a needed system file.

Edited by Juliet
stupid typo

something I forgot:

we could try using Last Known Good Configuration (LKGC).

Restart your computer.

As the computer is starting, press the F8 key once every second.

Choose to boot from the Last Known Good Configuration.

[*]If you are booting into Vista / Windows 7/8, select Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced).

[*]Press the Enter key.

The computer will load the last known good configuration.

ESET still doing its thing. I have a bad feeling that the trojan was one of the system files in Windows. If it was, is there any way to get it back without a reinstall?

I'll try LKGC if this doesn't work.

Edit: And if it was a system file, could that be the reason I'm getting these errors?

Edited by Gotshadow

ESET still doing its thing. I have a bad feeling that the trojan was one of the system files in Windows. If it was, is there any way to get it back without a reinstall? I'll try LKGC if this doesn't work. Edit: And if it was a system file, could that be the reason I'm getting these errors?

missing system files, bad.these infections are designed to attack files needed to run the computer. Could be a repair install could fix a few things then again no way of knowing.I need to ask a couple of guy's from User to User to to read of this topic in case. I'm not that computer savvy in this area.I hope Eset runs and completes.

Where does it save?

Edit: I found it in Program FileESETESET Online Scannerlog.txt - but I think its been reset because I reinstalled it for the one its doing now.

ESET only had about 5% left to scan. It's taken almost an hour and a half. Nothing found yet.

Edited by Gotshadow

was curious to see if it identified a critical system file in what it found in the previous scan.

I have asked a few to follow this topic in case we need info on reinstalling windows.