Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

Getting the Windows 8.1 Update

Is anybody else experiencing the same issue I have with updating my windows 8 to 8.1, I click the update in the windows store because windows 8.1 is available but when it checks my system, it states it can not install because my Intel Pentium D 2.8 processor does not have "PrefetchW" Although I am already running windows 8

I read in the Houston Chronicle (on the 21st) that the update had been withdrawn because of problems

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Microsoft-pulls-Windows-update-to-fix-problems-4911700.php

but yesterday it was reported that it had restored the update

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Microsoft-restores-Windows-RT-8-1-update-4916494.php

I have no computers with Windows 8 so I don't know myself

That's for RT 8.1 It's a topic over here

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/202281-windows-rt-81-bricking-devices/

My issue is that M$ 8.1 installer is saying that my Intel CPU does not have PrefetchW. Intel cpu's do not have PrefetchW because PrefetchW is a requirement for AMD cpu's!

Microsoft= DUH!!

Update:

I found out the the Pentium D 8x series cpu's are a no go for 8.1, I also found out that the Pentium D 9x series cpu's work fine with 8.1 so I went on fleabay and coughed up $8. for a PD 920 cpu to replace the PD 820 cpu that's in the dell box.

Worked like a charm with the Pentium D 920 cpu and I was able to update to Windows 8.1

I have tried 4 or 5 times to upgrade to 8.1 on my main machine. Error code lead to Nvidia drivers, but when I updated them it still didn't work. Also tried unplugging everything connected--still no go.

:shrug:

I have tried 4 or 5 times to upgrade to 8.1 on my main machine. Error code lead to Nvidia drivers, but when I updated them it still didn't work. Also tried unplugging everything connected--still no go.

:shrug:

I had a lot of trouble updating a mate to 8.1, I had no idea what I was looking for, or what to expect, every search for a download led back to the windows store, yet nothing showed in the store, it turned out that the system MUST be fully up to date before it will let you see the download, once your updated using Windows Update as per other builds (just not easy to find in this OS), then checked all the drivers were up to date, once all those were done the 8.1 upgrade hits you as soon as you go into the Windows Store again, so get your latest drivers, and do the windows updates, once all is fully updated it should show up, but the Nvidia drivers are causing problems for many ATM, so once you have got 8.1 done, you may want to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and use what windows gives you, but this is my experience with the 8.1 update anyway, hope it helps.

There was a trick a little while ago where you could go to the download page foe windows 8 with your license key, On the M$ web site there is also an option to get 8.1. The trick was to start downloading Windows 8 and then stop before the download was done, go back to the web page that gave you the option for windows 8.1 and the download would start for that and you could complete the windows 8.1 download. I saw this a couple weeks back so I'm not sure if it will still work

Didn't want to turn this into help, just reporting my experiences, but here's my specs--could make a difference, I guess:

Intel 2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Cosair 4x4GB Vengence 1600 DDR3, EVGA GTX 460 SC EE 1GB, WD 1.5GB Caviar Green, LG Blu-ray burner, and Antec HCG-750W, running Windows 8. Parts are circa 2011.

:)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

:tup: Ooooooh, uninstalled nVidia drivers and used whatever bullcrap Windows installs by default; funny thing though, after several reboots when I hit nVidia control panel button, it said 331.65 drivers where installed. So...... :shrug:

Anyway, I have 8.1 :)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Windows reinstalls the driver required, but AFAIK it only the driver, non of the other GeForce or PhysX stuff, it will probably still crash, I know mine does, but not as much as it did previous.

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

lol....yup, M$ will be able to stand up again but don't expect the song and dance we got with windows 7

Have known so many others to experience this issue. I've recommended uninstall and reinstall the software, but there may also be invalid entries from installing and downloading over time. In which case, it's just as effective to run a scan and see what kind of corrupt or missing files could be causing problems. And, keep a keen eye out for malware hiding out in the registry. Right?