Sign in to follow this  
badbinary

Windows 8.1 - User Directory On Another Drive

I currently have my users directory on my second hard drive to save room on my ssd. Because of this, I can't install Windows 8.1 (for whatever reason). Does anyone know of a way around this? I don't expect many answers considering it just came out today.

Currently using Windows 8 Pro.

watching this thread for information: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/sorry-it-looks-like-this-pc-cant-run-windows-81/84310e8a-edd3-48d7-af31-0b09666b0c74?page=1&tm=1382071380048

Edited by badbinary

can't you just put the user directory back on the C drive, get 8.1 installed and then put the user directory back on the platter drive when your done?

no...in windows 8 it's not a simple case of moving the directory. i had to put the system into audit mode during initial installation to do it.

That's whatcha git for usin' a nasty os

I installed 8.1, but nothing appears to have changed. I already had the classic start button before 8.1 was installed so I cannot not even see a reason for my changing from Windows 8 to 8.1. I also went in to check to make sure the OS I have now is 8.1, but what comes up is a box that shows Window 8 in large font and it states something about 8.1 in small font. I tried to post a screenshot of this box but could not figure out how to post. Sorry!

I installed 8.1, but nothing appears to have changed. I already had the classic start button before 8.1 was installed so I cannot not even see a reason for my changing from Windows 8 to 8.1. I also went in to check to make sure the OS I have now is 8.1, but what comes up is a box that shows Window 8 in large font and it states something about 8.1 in small font. I tried to post a screenshot of this box but could not figure out how to post. Sorry!

Some people thought that Microsoft was going to add a Start button with Windows 8.1. They never promised that.

Right now you have to go back to the Desktop for some Windows configurations. In the future Microsoft plans to eliminate that and do all configurations from the Metro screen. They probably plan to totally eliminate the Desktop eventually.

BTW, I like the Classic Start button also. I wouldn't put up with Windows 8 otherwise.