Change Mode

Xbox 360 Original release laser burn?

Andy Simmons

Recently I've been more active on my Xbox 360 console. Keep in mind this system is one of the first release models. As of late. I've noticed an issue with my disks becoming laser burned. This has been an intermittent problem so far. I have never used anything in the disk drive other than what it's designed for. I have gone to the Xbox website and use the help and support. All they could tell me is that I moved my Xbox while it was running. I have informed them that this was not the case. The Xbox is stationary under my TV. No movement that I know of has been a factor in this incident. This issue has materialized on two separate disks at separate times. Now I fear that this will happen again. Because of this issue. I've been installing games onto a thumb drive and streaming the data off of it.Long story short. Anything that could be the cause? Maybe a solution?

Thank you.

I contacted a friend who was all over the console gaming world a while back. He said he remembers one of the xbox 360 release models being recalled for laser burning disks, but didn't know which specifically.

In any event, he told me he'd research it further and talk to his buddies and see if there is a work-around or solution.

:) Y

Don't know if you've seen this Wiki page, but this part in particular may be the reason that you are experiencing the scratched disks:

The Xbox 360 scratched disc problem received little media coverage in 2006;[49] however, in February 2007, the Dutch television program Kassa investigated several complaints from Dutch consumers about circular scratches made in their Xbox 360 discs.[50] Some of these consumers claimed that their discs became unreadable.[50] Kassa investigation traced the problem to a design defect in which the Xbox 360 optical lens was not restrained sufficiently.[50][51] In asserting that Microsoft or at least its chain of suppliers was aware of this problem, Kassa noted that Microsoft's "TSST"[52] versions of the Samsung DVD-drive lack rubber cushions around the optical lens while identical Samsung drives sold for PCs did have these rubber cushions.[50][51] Kassa also noted that the affected Xbox 360s all seem to have been produced towards the end of 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Don't know if you're a "hardware" type of guy, but if it was my xbox, I'd see about putting some rubber cushions around the lens to stabilize it and see if it resolves the issue.

:) Y

Incredible find. Thank you. I don't have the time to tinker with the console itself today. I will look into seeing if maybe I could do a swap out of the optical drive if that's all possible. If all else fails. I may end up having to replace the console all together. It's has been sounding funny and the disc door sticks closed and I have to physically push on the front frame of the disc housing to get the door to function. If it's as simple as replacing the three rubber coasters on the laser drive itself. That's a fairly simple fix.

On the plus side, I am relieved that it isn't something that I have done to the console to cause this issue. It's just a simple defect in the hardware.

Once again. Thank You for your valued feedback.

Ps, Until I find time to repair the console. I'll just keep installing my software onto my thumb drive. (requires less demand on the disc drive)