It seems I can't install because I have a corrupt file. This is what it said : download file c:documents and settingsownerapplicationdatasunjavajre1.7.0_40-c.msi is corrupt. Is java necessary to run certain things or can I do without it or possibly try something else.

Thanks

You can probably get along without Java, I would just uninstall it and see how you get along. If you stumble across something that requires Java you'll be prompted to download it. However if you want...

Try going here to download > https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Scroll down to:-

Which should I choose?

Follow the advice per We have detected you may be viewing this page etc etc

:geezer:

You can probably get along without Java, I would just uninstall it and see how you get along. If you stumble across something that requires Java you'll be prompted to download it. However if you want...

Try going here to download > https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Scroll down to:-

Which should I choose?

Follow the advice per We have detected you may be viewing this page etc etc

:geezer:

I tried installing it again from the location you told me, and it wouldn't, same message came up as before. Thanks for your help, guess I'll just have to do without it. Is there anyway to correct a corrupt file?

You should uninstall all older versions of Java. There is a link to Oracle's Java Uninstaller here :

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Should I uninstall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend that you uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the latest security and performance improvements on your system.

How can I remove older versions of Java?

You can safely uninstall older versions of Java from your system by using the Java uninstall tool or following the instructions on manually uninstalling Java for Windows page.

Posted ImageWindows Users: Improve the security of your computer by checking for old versions of Java and removing them using the Java Uninstall Tool.
» Learn more about the Java Uninstall tool

If you think you really need Java, you should be able to download and install the latest version after you run the uninstaller and reboot

You should uninstall all older versions of Java. There is a link to Oracle's Java Uninstaller here :

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

If you think you really need Java, you should be able to download and install the latest version after you run the uninstaller and reboot

Hi Joe, I did remove the last version of java and was trying to update to the current one.

I think the uninstaller provided by Oracle will take out more files than the windows uninstaller. Have you used the Oracle uninstaller?

Hi Joe, I did remove the last version of java and was trying to update to the current one.

do not update a current version....remove it

Edited by Joe C

I think the uninstaller provided by Oracle will take out more files than the windows uninstaller. Have you used the Oracle uninstaller?

I "removed" the old version from add/remove and was trying to install the new one

I have not, but if I go to the programs I have installed, Java is no where to be found