Change Mode

I inadvertently (of course) got these two malware programs on my brand new computer. I know what they are and where they are, but can't get them deleted. I always get an error code that says "can't be deleted because the file is in use by IE" even though I'm not running IE. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these pests that don't want to be deleted?

Try locating the AVG Toolbar in Control Panel Add/Remove or Programs/Uninstall and see if you can remove it there...you can open Task Manager and check the Processes tab to stop them if running.

Then I'd suggest this:

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results in your next post...

:geezer:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: v2013.09.08.05
Windows 8 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16660
jesse_000 :: MIKESVAIO [administrator]
Protection: Enabled
9/8/2013 12:10:23 PM
mbam-log-2013-09-08 (12-10-23).txt
Scan type: Full scan (C:|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 417511
Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 25 second(s)
Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Detected: 0
Registry Keys Detected: 0
Registry Values Detected: 0
Registry Data Items Detected: 0
Folders Detected: 0
Files Detected: 0
(end)
:clap:

hi
try to boot into safe mode, then try to go through and remove Default Tab through Control Panel > Programs & Features.
Less items loading in safe mode that could cause interference.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Use Revo uninstaller to remove AVG Safeguard toolbar completely, along with all the associated registry entries:
NOTE:, this is likely to uninstall AVG totally, if this is your onboard antivirus stop now.

Download and install the Revo Uninstaller

• [*]Double click the new
Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program [*]Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall (AVG Safeguard) [*]From the pop out menu choose Uninstall [*]Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue [*]In the next window select the Advanced mode [*]Click Next to start uninstalling the program [*]Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall [*]When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers [*]Once complete, click Next, then Finish [*]Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

I had an identical problem when I ran AdwCleaner, it ripped out the AVG toolbar but left the AVG Toolbar in the programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs in XP) I used Revo Uninstaller, removed all other traces from the registry and programs folder

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

You can use the Freeware version. I do not recommend that you use Revo for everyday software uninstalling, just for those really stubborn one's that refuse to uninstall

Again thanks for taking the time out your day to help. :clap:

Once I ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) and deleted 26 registry entries, the "Default Tab" program disappeared, and I was able to go in and manually delete the AVG Safeguard toolbar program listed in installed programs with the regular windows uninstaller no problems.