Change Mode

Windows 7 64bit Ult. Edition crashed 4 times. Blue Screen of Death, w

Hello,

I have a custom pc that is acting up again. The first problem may be unrelated, but I had to hold down the memtest button to let the pc cycle over and over again. Until I could go into bios and update it. Asus had a thing where you have to update the bios or windows won't start.

Could be related, might not be.

That was about a year ago. Today, the pc is having blue screens of death errors. I have not seen those in years! I have two hdd set up on the pc. One is the c drive with windows and all the programs. Then I have a second hdd with documents and pictures etc. So I'm not 100% worried about personal data.

Since it crashed 4 times, I have the WhoCrahsed report:

computer name: ASUSP8H67V
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 34322919424 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1888636928

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:WindowsMinidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 9/8/2013 1:07:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:WindowsMinidump090813-17253-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF781C0000000, 0xBD76, 0xBD7300017AEA)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:Windowssystem32ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/8/2013 1:07:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:Windowsmemory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr!FltGetIrpName+0x117)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF781C0000000, 0xBD76, 0xBD7300017AEA)
file path: C:Windowssystem32driversfltmgr.sys
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/8/2013 12:55:32 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:WindowsMinidump090813-18127-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x403, 0xFFFFF6800106D038, 0xEBA00002676A1867, 0xFFFFF6FD405B74A8)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/8/2013 12:52:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:WindowsMinidump090813-17347-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x3606, 0x3606FFFFFFFE)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

thanks in advance!

First thing that I'd try is to insure that each memory module is working properly.

Take all ram out, except for 1 module and start it up.

If all goes well, shut down, pull that stick out and put in the next one, etc.

:) Y

Had two more crashes since first post. It's crazy!!!

Just updated the bios from 3608 to 3707. You know something wierd? When I go into Asus EZ bios, the mouse stops working and under the boot property, the DVD drive does not appear? I just put a disc into the dvd drive and it works fine?

I'm hoping it's just me not updating the bios that created those blue screens.

This is gonna sound stupid, since I remember doing this, but how do i test each stick of ram again? It's the 2nd slot from the cpu and hit memtest and let it cycle overniht right?

thanks, any other ideas will be great.

If you are going to use memtest, then do it outside of Windows, by burning it's ISO file to a cd or USB flash drive (if your BIOS supports usb booting) http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

The easiest and fastest way is how I outlined in my previous post: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/202065-windows-7-64bit-ult-edition-crashed-4-times-blue-screen-of-death-what-to-do/?p=1775250

Physically remove all but 1 and try each module individually.

:) Y

heres something else to try,just yesterday i was getting BSOD on start up and each one was different from a video driver to something i never heard of. what i did was clear the CMOS by pulling the quarter size battery out of the motherboard for 10-15min and unplug the power cord. when i rebooted everything was fine.

I have four 8gb ram making a total of 32gb. I put it into the pc and assumed everything is automatic. been fine for a year. should I have done something in bios this whole time? the stick says 1333mhz 32gb (4x8gb) 9-9-9-24 1.5v ver2.20

I was wondering, maybe there's something wrong in the bios? Anyway i have the first ram stick in the second slot from the cpu. its almost done with the test with 0errors.

can I put ram in any slot? I was curious if this is due to a bad dimm slot on the mobo.

can I put all fpur sticks in? I thought you can only use one at a time. thanks!

whoops realized that some of my questions were already answered. I'm not sure if I misunderstood thw whocrashed report. but I spent 30mins on each stick of ram. The last one?

65535+ errors. wow.

I feel stupid asking. but if corsair gives me a replacement can I just add it to the sticks I have already?

if not.... I can't use three sticks right? it has to be in pairs? thanks.

you can use just three modules....but if you bought this memory as a set, Corsair will ask for the set to be returned, That's my experience when doing an RMA with Corsair, most of their memory does have a life time warranty so they will replace it

Edited by Joe C

you can't just send it to them. You need an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. This is a must.

You need to fill out an RMA form on their web site and get approval first or your memory could just disappear forever!

request a Warranty replacement, users must first log in to their Support account. If this is your first time visiting, please click the Register Now link below to create an account.

http://corsair.force.com/

Edited by Joe C