Sign in to follow this  
ihateadware

stubborn adware?!

Hi i have recently discovered adware on my laptop which to my reaction, i wasn't really bothered but i decided to install Adw Cleaner which i was directed to from a website, yes the program works well and removed most of the adware but it has detected more adware (not sure if it is a file or what) and cannot seem to remove it, the program says it has removed it and restarts but then detects the same object again upon another scan

the location of the object detected is - C:UsersRichard App DatalocalGoogleChromeuser DataDefaultpreferences

I have looked up this location manually and deleted it myself but whenever i switch my laptop back on the file is there again, this is slightly alarming as the file returns even when booted in safe mode which i thought could not happen?

if i anyone could enlighten me as to why this is happening and could help to resolve the issue this would appreciated.

THANKS!

Edited by Juliet
removed user name

I'd say it's not adware/malware...it appears to me to be your preferences folder for Chrome. (How you want Chrome to look, act, etc.) I think it's perfectly normal for it to return, Chrome replaces it every time. ;)

:geezer:

I'd say it's not adware/malware...it appears to me to be your preferences folder for Chrome. (How you want Chrome to look, act, etc.) I think it's perfectly normal for it to return, Chrome replaces it every time. ;)

:geezer:

That seems a strong possibility. I'm wondering if chrome does this prior to running the main chrome browser program? If the main chrome browser program has not been run and it comes back I'd be looking carefully at what brings it back.

Possibly that location is a protected file location and windows OS is bringing it back?

Now the OP says an "object" is being reported. But I don't see clarification on if that object is the folder or something in the folder.

In any event the OP should investigate the file or folder and what brings it back until satisfied it is not malware of some kind :)

You may want to consider uploading to VirusTotal and doing a scan there on the file if it is a file involved.

If you've downloaded the newest AdwCleaner, we'll help you get through the "cleaning" process:

AdwCleaner by Xplode and saved to your Desktop.

[*]Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator. [*]Click on the Scan button. [*]AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete. [*]After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review. [*]The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it. [*]Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply. [*]A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Hi here is the log file from AdwCleaner -
# AdwCleaner v3.001 - Report created 27/08/2013 at 13:30:47
# Updated 24/08/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Richard - RACEKING
# Running from : C:UsersRichard Downloadsadwcleaner.exe
# Option : Scan
***** [ Services ] *****
***** [ Files / Folders ] *****
***** [ Shortcuts ] *****
***** [ Registry ] *****
***** [ Browsers ] *****
- Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.16660
- Google Chrome v
[ File : C:UsersRichard AppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultpreferences ]
AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [12973 octets] - [25/08/2013 19:35:12]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [1360 octets] - [26/08/2013 16:47:39]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [1266 octets] - [26/08/2013 20:04:49]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1165 octets] - [26/08/2013 20:15:51]
AdwCleaner[R4].txt - [880 octets] - [27/08/2013 13:30:47]
AdwCleaner[s0].txt - [12342 octets] - [25/08/2013 19:35:58]
AdwCleaner[s1].txt - [1229 octets] - [26/08/2013 20:16:53]
########## EOF - C:AdwCleanerAdwCleaner[R4].txt - [1060 octets] ##########
this log is exactly the same each time, i have noticed that chrome looked different and then realised it had changed colour.
I had also run Malwarebytes and had noticed a lot of detections (41), possibly could have been persistent because of some malware?
Thanks Again!
Edited by Juliet
removed user name