Change Mode

Depends on your OS.

I run Lookout on my Android device, there really aren't that many viruses out there at the moment, especially if you don't install apps from anywhere but the Playstore or iTunes. But there have been more cases recently of malware slipping through on the play store.

Biggest issue with smart phones is phishing.

Got Kaspersky on my new Android, it's free as part of my bank, and without some kind of protection, I get annoying reminders about no cover, but common sense "may" not be enough with mobiles, I'm really out of touch these days, been many years since running forums about them, but even if there was nothing out to be a serious threat at this stage (stupidly allowing such a thing to one side), it's only a matter of time before something does come up, so it's certainly not a bad thing if you get it now, no point waiting until after something happens before getting protected, and as far as theft goes, there are probably numerous remote services out there to lock your phone up, and wipe the entire contents should you lose it, so it's definitely wise to seek such options to be safe, as a minimum you should note your imei number for safety, to do this open the phone pad, and dial *#06#.

Depends on your OS.

I run Lookout on my Android device, there really aren't that many viruses out there at the moment, especially if you don't install apps from anywhere but the Playstore or iTunes. But there have been more cases recently of malware slipping through on the play store.

Biggest issue with smart phones is phishing.

i also use lookout. i like it for the automated backups + antivirus all in one...for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Me? WP............nothing!

:laughing:

don't listen to the windows propaganda hoping to gain users for it's phones, there is malware out there for it too, in fact i believe a 16 yr old kid had a trojan for the new win 8 os phone running within hrs of it first coming onto the market and being sold.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

You guys/gals forgot how answer folk who ask for help!

Answer. Android? Avast works for my good lady, which you can find at the Google thingy. It's free.

Me? WP............nothing!

Good to see ya' posting again INP...

:geezer:

Good to see ya' posting again INP...

Thanks CB!

I was just being a grumpy ol' [email protected] when i posted.

Just got me a WP8 phone and i'd been searching for a decent forum.........................i've yet to find one. :mrgreen:

BTW. I may have inadvertantly started a WMP sub forum over at BC.

:tup:

:geezer:

Looks like there is no moderator moderating this forum since the recent subjects being discussed in chit chat have nothing to do with my original subject.

Are you going to bring the topic back on subject by actually participating in the conversation, or should we just wait another 2 weeks for you to come back and tell us that you don't like the answers that you received?

Your question was addressed properly and quickly by several members here.

How about you tell us what you believe to be the best anti-virus application for a smart phone. Are you using any protection?

A little participation goes a lot further than avoidance, followed by criticism. ;)

:) Y

We are a friendly community here with quite a bit of history and Inprofile happens to be a long time member who really doesn't get a chance to post as much these days as he used to.

Saying hello to a long lost friend will always be allowed on these boards, regardless of the subject matter.

I assure you that no disrespect was meant towards you or your topic.

...... back to the subject at hand, I believe that using Avast would be a fine choice as they have proven themselves to be very well fortified in the battle against viruses and malware.

:) Y

Hi Gary. I'm assuming that you're running an Android phone, if so, you won't do better than hitting the playstore and d/l Avast or AVG, either will serve you well, (Both have free versions).

You forgot post 10. I think i mentioned an answer to your question whilst chit chatting. :)

If it's a Windows phone......................... forget about it for now.

Hi Gary. I'm assuming that you're running an Android phone, if so, you won't do better than hitting the playstore and d/l Avast or AVG, either will serve you well, (Both have free versions).

You forgot post 10. I think i mentioned an answer to your question whilst chit chatting. :)

If it's a Windows phone......................... forget about it for now.

I really didn't forget Post 10. You at least answered my question, and reminded the guys/gals to answer folk who ask for help before you added the chit chat. I understand though that I'm the newbie, and don't really know if there is a better area for chit chat that has nothing to do with the subject matter.

That's not the only thing to be wary of though, and although they will do their best to ensure everything is clean, it doesn't mean one can't slip through the net, and I don't know if this can happen, "YET" anyway, what's to say they don't include a downloader which gets the infection after, thus eluding instantinitial checks for infection, just like some PC infections.

The other issue is bogus attempts to access the phone, by people who are in spitting distance just looking for that unsuspecting person to check out the latest info received by the phone, more so when going between various locations, I'm not talking about one town to the next (not unless some area's are so vast this may be relevant here as well), the most obvious example I can give is getting on a ferry to go to another country, once it leaves port it sends you an update saying your now under x connection detail, I know a person who got a notification on his phone when on a ferry, and thinking it was just a typical message thought no more of it, and when they got back they found it had taken all their credit, so as you can see it goes' much deeper than just downloading from a "trusted" service.

And with new technology such as NFC (Near Field Communication), who can tell at this stage just what this could mean to mobiles, it's been used on bank cards for a while now, and many have probably seen examples of how easy it is for someone with relatively inexpensive hardware to just pass you by and get all your card details, at least those cards with this new tech in them, so it will be interesting to see what comes from this with mobiles.

post #3, #7 & #9 all seem to answer the question. :b33r:

I think 8210Guy has a valid point. It's not virus / malware, there are more sophisticated methods.

I have just returned from working in Cairo and was warned about possible text message scams that are rampant on Egyptian carriers.

You receive a text (And I did), welcoming you to X network, and to activate calls and roaming it asks you to reply with 'Start'; this message costs you a fortune, you are then bombarded with text messages all at extortionate rates and as you are roaming the charges mount up to hundreds of pounds.

Interesting mention of NFC, have it on my S3, may need to look into it.