Sign in to follow this  
joestpaul

Why Can't I upgrade to a Duo Core Processor?

I have the list below motherboard and I was running an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz / 1M / 800 processor. The ASUS P5RC-LE Mainboard specification say that this mainboard will accept a Intel Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz LGA 775 CPU SL95X 4M/800 Presler 65nm processor, and when I put in in my machine the machine turns on fans spinning but no video. I never reset the bios for this with the jumpers on the motherboard, But I'm trying it with the second processor listed here below to see if it helps. if it don't why aren't either of these processors working in my mainboard. I'll let you know if the cmos and jumper resets helps. Or do I need to flash the bios with the most current bios version to make the processors work.

Product Identifiers Brand Intel Processor Model Pentium D 930 MPN HH80553PG0804M UPC 0735858179959, 0735858188999, 5032037006170, 675900746947, 683728214203, 735858179959, 735858188999 Key Features Clock Speed 3 GHz CPU Socket Type LGA 775/Socket T Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core TDP 95 W Processor Quantity 1 Product Type Processor Cache Memory Level 1 Size 16 KB Installed Size 4 MB Expansion / Connectivity Compatible Slots 1 x processor - LGA775 Socket Other Features Bus Speed FSB Speed - 800 MHz Manufacturing Process 65 nm 64-bit Computing Yes Architecture Features Enhanced SpeedStep technology, streaming SIMD extensions 3, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel 64 Technology Platform Compatibility PC Miscellaneous Package Type OEM/tray

I also tried a Intel Pentium D 945 - 3.4 GHz Dual-Core (HH80553PG0824MN) Processor CPU

Product Identifiers Brand Intel Processor Model Pentium D 945 MPN HH80553PG0824MN Key Features Clock Speed 3.4 GHz CPU Socket Type LGA 775/Socket T Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core TDP 95 W Processor Quantity 1 Product Type Processor Cache Memory Level 2 Size 4 MB Type Advanced Transfer Cache Expansion / Connectivity Compatible Slots 1 x processor - LGA775 Socket Other Features Bus Speed FSB Speed - 800 MHz Manufacturing Process 65 nm 64-bit Computing Yes Platform Compatibility PC

Specifications: Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5RC-LE
Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Pentium D 900 series Dual Core up to 950 (Pressler, 65nm)
Pentium D 800 series Dual Core (Smithfield, 90nm)
Pentium 4 601 series up to 661 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Pentium 4 600 series up to 650 (Prescott, 90nm)
Pentium 4 500 series up to 551 (Prescott, 90nm)
Celeron D up to 360 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Celeron D up to 355 (Prescott, 90nm)
Front-side bus (FSB):
800/533 MHz

Please Help...........

Edited by joestpaul

I'm going to agree with badbinary here, you need to update the BIOS for the Pent. D 930 to work. ;) That's a pretty nice CPU btw, I've had one before...

:geezer:

Okay, I updated the bios with the web link provided.

Do I now shut the computer down, and clear the cmos to activate the new bios settings, or do I just install the new Intel Pentium D duocore processor and see if the computer see it?

Thanks for your help in advance

Okay first I did the bios update in windows, without setting the bios to default settings. I am running security essentials antivirus and I couldn't figure out how to disable it or shut it down before the bios update. The bios update went smooth with no problems. after the update in windows, I shut the computer down and changed the processor to the Intel Pentium D duocore. Without clearing the cmos jumper on the mainboard, I turned the computer back on and the fans were spinning on the cpu and the case fan, but I didn't get any video still. So I shut the computer down and cleared the cmos setting with the jumper by putting the jumper on pins 1 and 2 for 30 seconds, I also removed the cmos battery for 30 seconds. Then I reset the jumper settings to the normal position and replaced the cmos battery and I turned the computer back on. Still all I got was fans spinning and no video. So I shut down by unplugging the computer, because holding the power button in wouldn't shut the computer off. I then removed the cmos battery and that's were I stopped until I hear from someone on this forum. I haven't done many bios updates so i probably didn't do it right.

Please tell me what to do now, or tell me what I did wrong and what I can do to correct the problem so the computer will see my Intel Pentium D duocore processor instead of using the intel pentium 4 processor.

Are you using the "onboard" video or do you have a dedicated video card in one of the slots?

do you know for sure that the pentium d works?

No, I'm not sure if the Pentium D even works but it's the second one I bought off ebay from different sellers.

After replacing the cmos battery I tried a couple of duocore 1.7 / 1.8 GHz / 1M / 800 processors and neither one of them worked.

So, I put a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz / 1M / 800 Processor in and it worked, but it's not duo core, but it is hyper threading, because the processor speed shows up twice in device manager under processors.

I didn't put the original Pentium 4 back in because the 3.2 Pentium 4 was the faster of the 2. So I went from a Pentium 4 2.8 / 1M / 800 to a Pentium 4 3.2 / 1M / 800 which is a tad bit faster, but I don't know why the Pentium D's that I tried didn't work unless they were both bad.

Thanks for your assistance and help

Are you using the "onboard" video or do you have a dedicated video card in one of the slots?

I'm using on board video. The video works with the Pentium 4 processor that I started with before trying to upgrade the processor

The sellers on ebay said they tested both processors and that they worked. Hummmmmmm?????? The second seller is sending me another one.

I have to wait again

Edited by joestpaul

You were uncertain about the re-flash (update) of the BIOS.

Get yourself back into the BIOS and check the version number that is showing, just to be sure that it did in fact flash properly.

:) Y

You were uncertain about the re-flash (update) of the BIOS.

Get yourself back into the BIOS and check the version number that is showing, just to be sure that it did in fact flash properly.

+1

should be v3.03 now.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

I'll check the bios version in a little while

Sorry, I will check the bios version now, because I'm on this computer right now.

I did try the Pentium D's in another pc and they worked. next time I do a bios update I'll check the version before and after.

Most manufacturers on their CPU compatibility chart will show the BIOS version also such as:

> F8 after F8 or

> 409 after 409

+1

should be v3.03 now.

:b33r:This is the version of my bios

Bios GC11010M.15A.0009.2006.0420.1045

So it looks like the bios version listed about in these comments didn't work also I have windows vista installed so I need a vista version bios for this system board and I couldn't find one

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5RC-LE Socket: 775

Should be here ---> http://hp.mydriversdownload.com/hp-drivers/HP-Compaq-Presario-SR2006NX-P5RC-LE-Motherboard-BIOS-Update-3.03-free-download_90188.html

or here ---> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-43872-1

I'd go with the first one...click the link, click the GREEN Download button, click the GREEN folder. ;)

Shame that the BIOS update needs to be run through Windows, but, it is what it is.

Since you have Vista installed, be sure to Right Click the application when you are ready to run it.

From the Right Click Menu, choose: Run as Administrator.

Once it has completed, a reboot should be required, if not, reboot anyway.

Go back to the BIOS to check that the version has been properly upgraded.

Should be here ---> http://hp.mydriversdownload.com/hp-drivers/HP-Compaq-Presario-SR2006NX-P5RC-LE-Motherboard-BIOS-Update-3.03-free-download_90188.html

or here ---> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-43872-1

I'd go with the first one...click the link, click the GREEN Download button, click the GREEN folder. ;)

Won't that install zip opener and not the vista bios drivers. I have trouble whenever I see that zip opener software. It's not like it was 10 years ago when you look to download drivers and the only link on the page is the driver link without loading extra software programs

I download from 3 different green buttons and all I got was a zip opener...........You need to be more specific about what green download button there's 2 download buttons with your first web link And the I'm asked if I accept or decline several offers which I decline because I don't want extra software loaded on my pc, and when it's all done downlloading I don't have any bios file to open..

I download from 3 different green buttons and all I got was a zip opener...........You need to be more specific about what green download button there's 2 download buttons with your first web link And the I'm asked if I accept or decline several offers which I decline because I don't want extra software loaded on my pc, and when it's all done downlloading I don't have any bios file to open..

I will try it again