win 8 error 651

here we go

my mom of all people had one of those really horrid eMachines when they first came out. As it happens she ended up being part of this huge class action that was settled in favor of the plaintiffs.

So she got this credit to buy a new computer which I assisted her in picking out. Frankly it was slim pickins but I settled on this one as being ok for my mom. And $2.56 final cost to her for a new computer was not a bad deal gateway notwithstanding.

So here is the issue.

Win 8, fired up the bad boy, went through the.... annoying?...irritating?.... mmm ahhh... I can't think of anything nice to say. But went through the startup business and it was successful. Managed to get to the stupid tablet screen that it wants to default to.

I started poking around doing this and that and it didn't take long to figure out that there was no internet connection. Mom has Cox Modem. A slightly older model I think but it works ok.

Eventually I made my way to the Network and Sharing Center. I looked at the thing every which way including sideways. I ran the win 8 diagnostic a thousand times. I ran an elevated command prompt and released, renewed, prodded and poked and even a few pings for fun. For some more fun I set a manual IP mimicking the one on the old computer, nothing. .I uninstalled the Norton stuff, I turned the win 8 firewall off, drilled down to the firewall bits that they didn't show as still running which surprise! were still running and turned that off too. I disabled the ethernet completely and brought it back several times. Nothing worked. It would not shake hands with the modem. And yes I did not leave it on a manual setting I left it acquiring DNS all alone without my help.

I plugged in the wireless router that my son keeps putting into the picture for his laptop when he is there (I take it out of the loop when he leaves). The Win 8 box shook hands, stood up and begged, and established a working connection with the router. But it would not reach out and shake hands with the Cox modem.

Nothing, nada, no success. Did I mention, the old PC still connects fondly with the modem with or without the router in the loop.

Win 8 Diagnostics. The first error message that kept popping up was the error 651. After I messed around a bit that error message went away and it settled on telling me that there was no IP configuration or something like that (I'm not at her house right now and it has been a long day).

So skip the security turn off suggestions please, BTDT, the box has NO security running at all of any kind to interfere with the internet connection.

The only thing I've not done which I saw recommended online was go through the laborious process of eliminating conflicts with running services. I was not inclined to do that when the clock hit 1:30 AM and I headed home instead.

Any suggestions from you 'all would be interesting at least and pleasantly received at best. Thanks.

Oh yes, forgot to mention. I had a couple long talks with the BIOS. I turned on a piece of hardware that looked rather suspicious being defaulted to off, but it made no difference.

Edited by oftentired

Thanks

I've seen that one. I had not tried a completely clean startup yet. Part of that is the business about eliminating services as the culprit so I was going to go down that road the next time I was over at her place working on it.

It seems terribly odd to me that it will handshake with the router and not with the modem itself.

Also, it stopped reporting the 651 error after I did some fiddling and stuck with an IP configuration error.

Have you tried flushing the DNS since you started? From Jacee:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.@Echo onpushdwindowssystem32driversetcattrib -h -s -r hostsecho 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTSattrib +r +h +s hostspopdipconfig /releaseipconfig /renewipconfig /flushdnsnetsh winsock reset allnetsh int ip reset allshutdown -r -t 1del %0Save as flush.bat to your desktop.Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Might give that a run and see what happens.

:geezer:

Have you tried flushing the DNS since you started? From Jacee:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.@Echo onpushdwindowssystem32driversetcattrib -h -s -r hostsecho 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTSattrib +r +h +s hostspopdipconfig /releaseipconfig /renewipconfig /flushdnsnetsh winsock reset allnetsh int ip reset allshutdown -r -t 1del %0Save as flush.bat to your desktop.Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Might give that a run and see what happens.

:geezer:

I can try this and I will. I did release and renew a few times but had not flushed. I'm not sure why the hosts file is involved in this flush busines? I'll think about that part some more.

Also, my Win 7 box does'nt recognize BAT files I'm thinking 8 won't either. However, I'm pretty handy with the keyboard and notepad, I'll manage to do it myself if 8 won't handle the BAT. I'll be the interpreter myself :)

It was the modem. 4 years old. Cox telephone support said it didn't support DOCIS whatever version. The dude that came to switch out the old for a new said it was having some reading on his equipment showing problems with it.

Anyway, new modem fired up the 8 box and they shook hands without a hitch.

Thanks for the help.