Sign in to follow this  
BOB4

Boot ini gone or bad

Have desktop and running XP PRO,SP3. I have tried using older MS XP PRO disk, but I only get up to where recovery wants me to put in floppy disk and then it stops (tried to hit r or f2 but wants floppy disk).

I can access all h/ds on compute through notrons ghost 14.I have a back up of the c drive but can not find the boot ini in the c drive,in order to restore just that file. I do not want to restore through NG because I would like data stored on the bad hard drive (did not do backup in over a year).

I was wondering if I could just take out main h/d (bad one) and put in older xp desktop machine I have.Then use the back up of the boot ini (windows/pss) and place it into the C drive (of the bad h/d). Would that work and where in the root c (I understand,root is c drive but do I just drop in c drive,dumb question,but) drive do I put the replacement boot ini (could the computer still try and load the bad boot ini.) I had done something like this years ago to get data of a h/d going bad a few years ago

With XP you might be able to do a repair install and keep your data intact

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You will need to get access to an XP disk. An OEM disk for the OEM install or a retail disk for a retail install (depends on your license, which is usually on the COA sticker on the case)

Thanks for the reply.I was going to try the link that you sent but I did not like the warning about back up all data on the disk.The problem is I could not get to it to copy.Time passes and last backup was1 year ago.

I was able to get to the command prompt (with nortons ghost) but did not remember my dos commands. After reading the old dos book,I was able to move around a little.I finally got down to windows/pss dir.Typed in boot.ini backup and guess what happen.The boot.ini backup came up in notepad,was I really gland,was not sure what or how I was going to change it in dos.I saved as boot.ini backup2 and then changed it to boot.ini and finally saved it to the c drive. The computer is up and running .I still believe there is some thing wrong so after a complete backup,I will restore to about a year ago.