Free no trial anti-virus anti spyware programs?

First I used Avast, but that was a free trial, now I am using AVG but it's a free trial. Is there any FREE programs I can use that doesn't have a trial attached to it that is an anti virus and anti spyware program? I do use Spybot Search and Destroy, hopefully that is still pretty good :) Or is it better to buy an anti virus/anti spyware program? In a few days I will lose the AVG anti virus since the trial is over in a couple of days :( I am on windows 7 HP desktop computer.

Avast is FREE and always has been, you just have to register it every year. When working on PC's for clients Avast is what I install for an anti-virus.

Here's a listing of antiviruses and how they rate... http://www.pcmag.com/products/1594/1 choose one that's right for you.

edit: link to Avast > Avast! Free Edition

Just download, install (being careful to watch out for check boxes already checked), and register using your favorite email. Good till next year when you'll need to re-register using your favorite email.

:geezer:

You need to look out for the tick boxes, the reason you don't think they are free is because you probably install the full version, you must keep your eyes open and select the free version all the time, and some do hide that box by making it small, even if print, is just added with the other info in such a way you won't see it unless you really look for it, fortunately not many makers do this, but you do have to take notice of such thing as you install.

First I used Avast, but that was a free trial, now I am using AVG but it's a free trial. Is there any FREE programs I can use that doesn't have a trial attached to it that is an anti virus and anti spyware program? I do use Spybot Search and Destroy, hopefully that is still pretty good :) Or is it better to buy an anti virus/anti spyware program? In a few days I will lose the AVG anti virus since the trial is over in a couple of days :( I am on windows 7 HP desktop computer.

There are two current versions of AVG Antivirus for personal use:

• AVG AntiVirus 2013
  • AVG AntiVirus FREE 2013

You must have a trial version of the first one which must be paid for after the free trial.

You might want to download and try the second one which is not a trial and is always free.

Download AVG AntiVirus FREE 2013

Edited by MisterEd

Is there any FREE programs I can use that doesn't have a trial attached to it that is an anti virus and anti spyware program?

Anti-virus and Anti-spyware are typically two different programs with different jobs.

I like AVAST! or Microsoft Security Essentials for Anti-Virus. I like Malwarebytes' (it comes in a free version) for Anti-spyware but the paid version is pretty nice and it is only $24.95 for a lifetime license (no yearly fee).

AVG is still free, like 8210 said, always use caution when clicking options. People can disagree with me freely, but if I was still running Windows, I would buy a Norton product for anti-virus. Spybot S&D was an app I used, along with Lavasoft Ad-aware.

But if you're really concerned about the PC experience being FREE, consider ditching Microsoft for a Linux OS.

People can disagree with me freely, but if I was still running Windows, I would buy a Norton product for anti-virus.

Be Gone Evil One lol, I think you will find the vast majority here feel the same, last I knew the free solutions were ranking well above that, and constantly so, Norton have bee running off their name for many, many years now, although I do believe it was said the 360 was the best they have done in years, but the free options still rated better from what I have seen over the years.

Edited by 8210GUY
  • 2 weeks later...

A possible issue I have with those ratings is it doesn't take useability in to account. For example, Trend Micro scored really well on their tests but I have found them to be the most non-intuitive pain in the rear software for anyone to try to use. In my opinion it makes your system unusable... so therefore you are unlikely to get infected. :)

For me, the best programs need to be user friendly and non intrusive. If you must spend an inordinate amount of time "training" the program, it will not be used effectively.

That does look like a better report.

I think that Kaspersky and ESET are two of the best paid AV programs and they get 3 stars. I'm a little surprised to see Symantec in the 3 stars but I've heard they've upped their game.

I'd still give Trend Micro 1 star max!

I agree. I'm not sure how Symantec gets on the score, perhaps they have a good enterprise edition while the home users get the snotty end of the dip stick